CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Justin Rovtar

Profile:
Parking Issues

Just curious to know what parking issues some affiliates have had with rental or ownership of a 1000 sq/f box? It seems that most places have restrictions that only allow 2 parking spots per 1000 sq/f.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Re: Parking Issues

Depending on where you are parking could be a serious issue with getting up and running. Most light industrial/industrial spaces are just as you said, only allow 2 spaces/1000 sq feet, but then citys require 1 space/250 sq feet for our type of use. Yeah, it's a problem, yeah you'll have to get it worked out. Look hard and broad for space, work with building/parcel owners to get something worked out. This is why it can take quite some time to find space depending on where you are.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Adam Noble

Profile:

Los Angeles, 1 spot per 200 sq ft. for any sort of fitness studio. Just spent a year dealing with this goofiness.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Who is limiting you to two spaces per 1000sf? Is it the property owner?
Is there an adjoining property or tenant that will share with you?
Old 06-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Noble View Post
Los Angeles, 1 spot per 200 sq ft. for any sort of fitness studio. Just spent a year dealing with this goofiness.
Aren't you guys in Culver City, though, not LA?

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 06-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Adam Noble

Profile:

It's the same for Culver City (really all of Los Angeles County). I became an expert on the parking issue. I looked for a year; tons of places are zoned ok, almost no buildings have the required parking (those that do are priced outrageously). I found a great spot, 2000 sqft with 4 dedicated parking spots, tons of street parking, metered lots at the both ends of the street, and a gigantic city parking structure a block away. I got approved for the lease, but just couldn't get planning to sign off on the parking (this can be fought, but it is an expensive proposition with no guarantee. Lost the spot. Took a couple of days off, went pounding the pavement looking again, when I saw a coming soon banner for Focus Self Defense, Krav Maga and CrossFit (quite literally half a block from the spot I just lost out on). Went in and talked to John Whitman the owner (and world renowned Krav Maga expert), who was super nice. Then a bunch of random things happened in the span of a week, and now I'm running the CrossFit Culver City program, and which we are still waiting to have linked to the front page. I guess the moral here is, sometimes really great things happen when everything seems to be falling apart, and never sign a lease till you have checked all the details like parking and zoning out with city planning. Becca, are you still going to Rey's?