CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Weightlifting in the US

Hello folks,

I suspect that weightlifting is growing in popularity, particularly due to crossfit. Given this, do y'all think we'll be internationally competitive in 10-20yrs?

I'm under the assumption that we aren't right now (not sure though, please correct me if I'm wrong). I've heard several reasons for this, but one is that so few people are into WL in the US that the talent pool is small.

As that grows, I suspect (and hope) that our competitors will be that much better?

What do y'all think about this?

howard
Old 06-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Bob Takano

Profile:
Re: Weightlifting in the US

This may help but it is only one factor. We are still in need of a source of financial support for athletes, coaches and coaching education and provision of appropriate facilities. It is helpful, however.
Bob Takano
Old 06-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Tom Brose

Profile:

Wow, Bob Takano posting here, cool. Welcome Bob.

I think CrossFit will bring a huge amount of new interest in weightlifting, but the trickle down to actual competition will be small. Most Crossfitters will be starting to late to become serious high level competitors, and not be willing to give up everything else in favor of the sport. So there wont be a giant improvement of US international standings. At the same time, every little bit helps. Where the impact will be felt is with those who decide to continue on i the sport coaching youth.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Crossfit has been a huge boost to the weightlifting community. For Crossfit to contribute to better results in international competition, Crossfitters need to start signing up their people for meets and hosting meets themselves. Some Crossfit gyms have begun doing this, some have not. Greg Glassman's original concept of the ideal Crossfitter was someone who was simultaneously a novice level gymnast, a novice level mid distance sprinter and a novice level weightlifter. If no one in the gym has ever competed in weightlifting, then no one can consider themselves at even the novice level. Out of many novices will come a few elite.

Howard - John Thrush from Calpians will be putting on several meets in your area soon, July I think.
calpiansJTT@aol.com
Will you be there?

There's nothing like an official competition to add some focus to training.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Thanks folks, I was beginning to think this was an uninteresting topic.

The reason I said 10-20yrs was that I figured us middle-aged folks (I'm 36) would try and turn our kids on to weightlifting and some of us might be successful (I have three young girls and would love for them to take it up).

Lincoln, thanks for the heads up. We are actually leaving WA at the end of this month and headed back to GA. I hope to open a crossfit there within a year or so. Of course, irony of ironies is that while I was in college (Auburn University in Alabama) I worked for Les Simonton who does a lot for weightlifting in the southeast. I'm not sure if you've heard of him or not.

Too bad I wasn't interested at the time. That would have been 15yrs of training. We'll be about two hours away from Auburn, so hopefully I can get over to see him and get some instruction.

howard
Old 06-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Yes, I've known Les for several years. Every time I go to the National Masters it seems that Les is the one giving me a ride from the hotel to the venue! Good lifter, good coach, great guy.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Glad to hear you know him. He was easy to work for and I enjoyed my time there, hopefully I'll learn of his coaching skills in the near future.

howard