CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Critique My Paleo Diet (Pretty Please)

Hey all,
I just read "The Paleo Diet" two days ago and feel it is pretty straight foward, I bought all the right things and tossed all the things I should not be eating pretty simple. But, I want to check to make sure what I ate today and what I will continue to eat is what I should be and the amount is ok.

I work graveyards so I have to modify the way my breakfast, lunch and dinner go.

Breakfast:
1 skinless chicken breast (free range)
1 cup of broccoli.

Lunch:
Spinach salad with:
A few blueberries and razzberries
Chopped Radishes
A few shrimp
Splash of extra virgin olive oil

Dinner:
Baked Salmon fillet
1 Orange

My main puprose it to see if this is fitting with the Paleo diet. I'm a simple eater and do not like making things to complex so I eat pretty plain things but I want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction with this kind of layout for the day?

Please critique the heck out of this so I can get it right. My purpose on the Paleo is weight loss not weight maintenace. I understand the snack portion of the Paleo I just wanted to run my meals by you guys and see what you think.

I have plenty of other foods to mix into this but that is what I have eaten today.

Thanks.

Last edited by Doug Blankenship : 02-29-2008 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Christopher Gaskin

Profile:
Re: Critique My Paleo Diet (Pretty Please)

Doug,

I'm certainly no expert, but you appear to be a little low on fat.

Hopefully someone a little more qulified to comment will chime in, but that's my $0.02 worth.

Best,

Chris
Old 02-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Gaskin View Post
Doug,

I'm certainly no expert, but you appear to be a little low on fat.

Hopefully someone a little more qulified to comment will chime in, but that's my $0.02 worth.

Best,

Chris
Hey Chris,
Maybe I should add like different approved nuts or more fat via meats, olive oil etc. The fat part of the diet (being new to this) has me a little confused. I figured all the fats would come from the fruit and meats.

well we will see what the others think. Thanks for the heads up Chris, I will re-read the sections of the book when I get home and get this fat thing figured out.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Doug;
Good effort.
Suggest you plug your food intake into Fitday for a breakdown of macro nutrients along with calories.
No idea of your age,height or weight, but calories look light and of course, fat content seems way low.
BUT, good job on working your eating toward a Paleo diet. Now read :The Protein Power Life Plan", along with The Omnivore's Dilemma.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Doug;
Good effort.
Suggest you plug your food intake into Fitday for a breakdown of macro nutrients along with calories.
No idea of your age,height or weight, but calories look light and of course, fat content seems way low.
BUT, good job on working your eating toward a Paleo diet. Now read :The Protein Power Life Plan", along with The Omnivore's Dilemma.
I'm a dork sorry guys, I'm 5'11" 257pds, 27 years old. Six months ago I weighed 329 pounds and got if off with Atkins and Cross Pit workouts. But I held at 260 for two months so I tried to move onto something else that seems better.

I will head over to Fitday and check it out also thanks for the heads up on the book, I will pick it up when I head out today.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Yes you are in the Paleo Diet regime (even though back in the day they weren't pressing for olive oil).

Fats from nuts and seeds are great but must be eaten in moderation as they pack in a ton of calories. What would fill your stomach if you only ate walnuts can literally be 3000 calories of walnuts - at one meal. That is what makes them so valuable as a food source; small package and big energy.

That salad would have gone great with some chopped walnuts or macadamia nuts and more shrimp than just a few. Shrimp are pretty light.

I'm not a Zone person anymore (IF with paleo choices) but I still always eat fats with carbs and protein.

Paleo people's main sources of energy were fats and meats/fish. Throw in veggies, some fruits and you are set.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
mike obrien

Profile:

fats is the main dispute between audette and cordain. audette says eat them, but cordain says the fats of today's meats is not the same as it was during the paleolithic period as the diets of the animals have changed so much. if you got your fat from wild fish, or grass fed beef/buffalo, that would probably fit into both audette's and cordain's view.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Emily Mattes

Profile:

There's no fat in fruits. Eat nuts, seeds, olive oil.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Doug,

I'll echo the notes about:

1. Fruits don't have fat.
2. You'll need to check out some fish oil to balance your omega 3 vs. omega 6 fats. I use Carlson's.
3. You could probably stand to eat more!

AND I'll say:

4. You can check out some of the workout logs for some paleo eating ideas/ratios/recipes. Mine for one. and Greg Privitera's also. Pretty realistic. Pretty simple, I'd say.
5. If you post more than this day we'd be able to tell you more. Maybe post periodically so that we can get a wider span of how a whole week of eating might look for you?

Hope this helps!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
There's no fat in fruits. Eat nuts, seeds, olive oil.

Cool, thanks for the replies everyone. I will try to add more olive oil to different dishes and I'm going to go and hit up Whole Foods in a few minutes and pick up some better nuts i.e. walnuts.

Also, as for meats, is there a fatty (Good Fat) meat that one would recommend over a different one?