CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Casey Gilvin

Profile:
Open Rack Squat Rack

I am in the process of putting together gym in my garage. Presently, we already have rings and ropes mounted to the ceiling, dynamax medicine balls, various barbells and plates (soon to have bumper plates) among other things.

Using the eye bolts that we have screwed into the joists in the ceiling (10 foot), webbing, and a bar, we have come up with a way to use this for kipping pull ups. Ideally this isn't the best way as the bar swings (think trapeeze) and we are looking for other alternatives.

I have come across this open rack that we can bolt a pull up bar to the top rail. Right now we do not have a rack as I am a fitness director of a gym on campus so any type of Olympic oriented WOD I do at my gym.

I am curious if anyone has come across this rack and would it be a possiblity to weigh the rack down with sandbags to use for kipping, in addition to olympic lifts.

We were looking at getting a set of cheap squat stands anyways until I came across this.

http://newyorkbarbells.tv/96031.html
http://newyorkbarbells.tv/latbars.html - Chin and Pull Up bar attachment

Quailty wise, I would imagine this is cheap stuff compared to what I work with daily.

We have a limited budget, and I am tired of dealing with other people in the gym.

Any thoughts? Anyone have one of these racks?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Christian Salas

Profile:
Re: Open Rack Squat Rack

Seems to me that by its very design it will be unstable and wobbly. Good for light weight, and peaceful chin ups, but not any swingy, crazy kip stuff. I too considered this rack, but decided against it, and have a traditional power rack. Bolted to the floor and ceiling btw. And I love it. And I love you. Happy Valentines Day!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
Jeff Bosley

Profile:

Yeah, I wish I would have rode off the research of others. Hopefully I can help you out so you can save yourself so time and pain.

Here is a decent rack I will be getting Monday:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SQUAT-RACK-LIFET...742.m153.l1262

and here is my pull up set up in my garage that wasn't too expensive. Just time consuming. You can save money and just do one bar if you want. I bolted the flange things to the "2 by" with washers and lock nuts before I bolted the whole 2 by to the ceiling. Then I bolted the 2 by to the ceiling on every truss with 3 lag screws. Not bragging, but the thing could lift a car. Neither bar wiggle. Another piece of advice, thread the entire pull up bar on the ground, then to one flange and then the other THEN bolt it to the 2 by. I made the mistake of bolting the flanges to the 2 by, mounting that to the ceiling, then threading the pipes. If you think about it, all threading goes well until you last piece, whichever you choose to it be. Because as you thread that last one, you are loosening its other end. One end is going righty tighty, the other left loosey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garage gym 001b.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1360  Click image for larger version

Name:	garage gym 002b.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1361  
Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Mauni Stiffler

Profile:

oops I dont know what happened
Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Mauni Stiffler

Profile:

I see your pull up bar set up and it looks similar to to the set up we have. I also see what appears to be straps hanging from the bars. Is that where you hang your rings? We just received ours yesterday and were going to put them up today. We have limited space so "multitasking" is a good thing.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Ryan McLaughlin

Profile:

I reinforced my home pull up station, after I removed it from the ceiling when I learned the kip. Be sure you over build it, or you will likely have to do it again.

One thing I forgot were washers. That would have been a good idea. Another suggestion I recieved was using wood glue to reinforce the connection between the 2x4 and the 1x12. 1" lag bolts were used in this application. Smaller lag bolts where required.

And...my rings have been hanging from this bar since the moment I received them. They work great there. Although, muscleups are not going to happen as head room is an issue.

http://home.swbell.net/r_e/Garland_8047_013.jpg

Last edited by Ryan McLaughlin : 02-15-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Jeff Bosley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauni Stiffler View Post
I see your pull up bar set up and it looks similar to to the set up we have. I also see what appears to be straps hanging from the bars. Is that where you hang your rings? We just received ours yesterday and were going to put them up today. We have limited space so "multitasking" is a good thing.
Yeah, I hang my "rings" there. I actually use the handles from a old bowflex right now. I am new so muscle ups aren't happening yet, so I use the "rings" for dips when I have to sub dips and pull ups for the m.u. I also use them for deep pushups.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Mike Kesthely

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Open Rack Squat Rack

I'm going to quickly hijack this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McLaughlin View Post
One thing I forgot were washers. That would have been a good idea. Another suggestion I recieved was using wood glue to reinforce the connection between the 2x4 and the 1x12. 1" lag bolts were used in this application. Smaller lag bolts where required.
Nice job, Ryan, I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm assuming this is mounted to garage 2x4 trusses? Exactly what length of lag bolts are you using? I don't think 1" would cut it through the 1x12, 1/2" drywall and into the truss.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
Leah Turner

Profile:

Casey - I can't answer whether sandbags, etc. would hold down that squat rack while kipping, but I did notice the height of that rack is a little under 7 feet. So that means if you have a person that is 6 foot with even an additional foot when they raise their arms above head in full ROM during a pullup, that they will be touching the ground. Just something to consider.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #10
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

If you're going to go with those, make sure you bolt that puppy to the floor SOLID. Otherwise the first time you try to kip it's going to go flying.

And I would NOT recommend trying to put plates or dumbbells to anchor it.