CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-15-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Just saw this article...thought it was interesting. Probably nothing new to the peeps on crossfit.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040914_1289.html
Old 09-15-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
One of the recommendations learned from the study, published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, is that beginners should ask trainers to help them figure out what they should be lifting.

LOL! The blind leading the blind!

Old 09-15-2004, 07:52 AM   #3
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
I would disagree about the lifting till fatigue (failure). That is not the only way to induce growth, nor the best way. I've found for myself that periodized progression is the way to go. The study is right on when it comes to people choosing a weight. There is too much light weight being thrown around with conversations on the "intensity" of the workout. 3 sets of 10 reps with 50% max with a 3 minute rest does not make an intense workout.

I've been accused of being an easy gainer and take offense. I busted my butt for any ounce of muscle tissue my body grew and also ate for gains. I see the majority of people at the "fitness" center I pay homage to, that they are merely going thru the motions and then complaining about the routine or the hand placement or workout clothes or ambient temperature or color of the interior or location of the machines or the positioning of the mirrors or the lack of hammer strength machines or or or .....

Never mind the fact that the exercises they do use are light isolation types and they can curl more than they can deadlift...Oops, I meant to say they curl in the power rack not deadlift. They haven't got a clue. Another example...on sundays WOD I was advised that I should pronate 1 arm and supinate the other when doing C&J's. Figure that one out. I asked for a demonstration and sure enough he demonstrated. Even as I'm smiling at this weird gyration he's doing he continues to explain the dual benefits of his version of the "true" C&J ....

Perhaps I should just start to buy my own equipment to avoid such nonsense...
Old 09-15-2004, 09:26 AM   #4
Jason Carey

Profile:
>>Another example...on sundays WOD I was advised that I should pronate 1 arm and supinate the other when doing C&J's. Figure that one out. I asked for a demonstration and sure enough he demonstrated. Even as I'm smiling at this weird gyration he's doing he continues to explain the dual benefits of his version of the "true" C&J <<

frank that is pure comedy! i would love to see a video of the "demonstration"!
Old 09-15-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
I'll see if he's willing to demonstrate on camera. I wish the guy was kidding. It was like an assisted curl using an olympic bar then into a press which would rotate the weight while going overhead. You couldn't stand anywhere near the guy. The funniest is he actually started in the power rack and then after the CLANG took it outside the safety of the rack. I was amused, scared, threatened and confused all at the same time.

Go to the gym and give it try to see how completely ridiculous this "version" really is.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:16 PM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I don't have to imagine how hard that is to do. On the "three bars of death" workout (10 to 1 pyramid of deadlifts, bench, and clean), I accidentally gripped the clean bar wrong trying to go fast and the first one didn't work so well. Realized what was wrong and went on. Impossible!
Old 09-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #7
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Frank said
That is not the only way to induce growth, nor the best way. I've found for myself that periodized progression is the way to go.

So what are your thoughts on crossfit not being a periodized workout program?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:24 PM   #8
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
I'm not looking to induce growth...so what's the point? I think CF is great at developing a true crossover functional strength, endurance, and agility.

Or are you implying that CF is a way to induce growth? While I don't doubt that it can the workouts don't seem to be hypertrophy specific. I'm saying that there is a better way than even CF to induce growth. I don't believe that CF is for form but function with form being at an appreciated level but not substantial for purely size gains.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:56 PM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I gotta agree with Frank that CF is not a growth program, yet could induce size gains. Nutrition has a lot to do with how you look: size, bodyfat, etc. I don't think a traditional linear periodized progression works for sport conditoning; too much give and take. Cross fit is periodized daily, weekly, and monthly, developing all aspects of "fitness" together.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:24 PM   #10
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Scott -

"Three bars of death" is the PERFECT name for that workout.