CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-18-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
Gordon Richmond

Profile:
I'm still very new to Crossfit. I did the workout of pull-ups and bodyweight squats, sandwiched between 800 meter runs. Needless to say, by the end of the workout, I was gassed. I can do about 3 palms facing away pullups and probably six palms toward me pull-ups, but after I did a few of these, all I could do was jump up to the bar and do negatives. I would have done assisted pull-ups, but I was at a playground instead of the gym.

The squats I made it through okay, stopping fairly frequently, but I got through each and every rep with pretty good form.

I have a few questions about how to proceed:
When it says 'Run 800 meters', does that mean all-out busting your ass? (Cause that's what I did...)
The air-squats burned my legs pretty good, so it was tough to jump up to do negatives for the pull-ups. In the future should I just decrease the number of reps, or replace the exercise with something else and do that 'grease the groove' with pull-ups that I've heard so much about?
My fitness level is certainly not extrordinary, so should I start out by taking it easier? Should I take more frequent rest days or charge ahead?

All in all, though I was disappointed about how far I have to go, but I felt very good about the fact that I did (more or less) complete what has definitely been the toughest workout of my short Crossfit career.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
Gordon Richmond

Profile:
Sorry, I meant to put this in the Starting section of the forum. (Crossfit newbie, what can I say...)
Old 07-18-2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Don't worry about your starting point. Just work hard and the results will come.
When it says 800m, yes it's as fast as you can. But you also want to pace yourself to conserve energy for the other exercises. The goal is not to be the guy with the fastest runs during the workout, but the fastest time overall. This is the goal whether you are competitive or not.
If you are already doing CrossFit, then Greasing the Groove on pullups will probably be okay as long as you are careful to stay fresh. However, you have to be careful not to burn yourself out. Most people find it is best to go easy on the workouts for the first month. Then ramp up the intensity for the next few months and really attack the workouts. Once you are sure of your recovery abilities, then add some supplementary work.
For pullup assistance, you should check out Jumpstretch bands at www.jumpstretch.com. At CrossFit Headquarters, they are quickly overtaking the Gravitrons as the most popular pullup aid. And best of all, you can fit a whole set of them in a backpack and take them to the park with you.
As for the additional rest days, it might be better instead to just approach a workout with less gusto. Lighter weights, slower runs, etc. But if you really need the rest, then it won't kill you to miss an extra day. The 3 on/1 off format that CrossFit uses is based purely on their observations of what works best, but some people have thrived on other schedules.

Tyler
Old 07-19-2004, 02:50 PM   #4
Graeme Cunningham

Profile:  
Tyler
How do you use them to assist chin ups?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:20 AM   #5
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Graeme-

Slip-knot the JS Band around the pull-up bar (that is, drape the band over the bar and pull one end of the loop through the other). Put your feet onto the band. The band will unweight some of your bodyweight, less and less as you get closer to the bar. This helps you do pull-ups and makes you good at what is, for most people, the hardest part of the exercise (the top).

Ross Hunt