CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-09-2004, 05:31 AM   #1
Donald Woodson

Profile:

At work there's this blood pressure machine which I've been using most every day. When I first started working out, my bp was checking around 150/90 or something like that. Over the next few months, I've watched it steadily drop to more normal ranges (120/80).
But the last week or so, the readings have averaged 110/74.
My question is, how low is too low?? And what do I do about it, if it is too low?
Side note for those interested: the most rapid drop seemed to occur about a week after I incorporated fish oil/borage oil capsules into my diet.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:10 AM   #2
Craig Stovall

Profile:  
I wouldn't worry too much about it, but you should mention it to your physician at your next check-up. Personally, I have very low BP, and it's nothing for me to read a 90/50. I've asked doctors and nurses about it before, and they didn't seem overly concerned. To quote, "some people just have low pressure". I don't think your 110/74 is outside the normal range at all. That's a pretty healthy reading, and not an area for concern.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:36 AM   #3
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Thanks Craig, All this time I've been worried about my high BP. It hadn't occured to me what low bp could be. But if 90/50 is still good, then I'm happy. I guess I'm only in trouble if the machine reads 00/00. Thanks again.:happy:
Old 07-09-2004, 08:47 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Donald-

this is a VERY good trend. Any diastolic reading ( the lower number) over ~80 is causing low level kidney damage and is bad in a number of other ways.

Mine was similar to your original reading several years ago at the ripe old age of 24! Low fat, high carb just about killed me.
Robb
Old 07-10-2004, 02:02 PM   #5
Brian Hand

Profile:

Robb, you mention the damage that high blood pressure does to the kidneys, and if I understand correctly it weakens blood vessels all over, increasing the chances of a lot of bad things. Do you or does anyone know how long it takes the capillaries and blood vessels to return to full strength and elasticity?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:05 AM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Brian-

I'm not sure about the recovery aspect. I believe adequate levels of Vit C, bioflavanoids and other antioxidant co-factors really enhance vascular integrity and so may speed recovery.
Robb