CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Cory Osborne

Profile:
The Diet Cure

I'm not going to try to sell this book to you because it's so good, like CF, it will sell itself. But if you want some serious answers to your nutritional questions I strongly recommend you read 'The Diet Cure' by Julia Ross.

If I could repay the help that I have received from everyone at CF, it would be to recommend reading this book 'The Diet Cure' and 'The Mood Cure' book.

Good luck all, let me know how you do!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Jeff Evans

Profile:
Re: The Diet Cure

Forgive me for being a bit skeptical, but you just signed up and posted in five different threads recommending this book. So either you work for the publisher, are friends with the author, or it really did something amazing for you. It seems at least somewhat plausible based on Amazon.com reviews so I may check it out at the library...
Old 10-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #3
Cory Osborne

Profile:

That sounds a bit more paranoid than skeptical. But I hope you do check it out from the library, borrow from a friend, read it online... I don't care who gets paid, I just want to help when this book has done something amazing for me. I don't believe I should keep it to myself.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Interesting book, from the review and what I'm reading about the author, it has more to do with people who have eating disorders and the emotional link with eating. Also it seems to discuss the what we as a society has come to define as "healthy", though I think in the CrossFit world what the majority of us define as "fit" can easily be replaced with the word "healthy".

Perhaps this book can help people, of course posting as a first post in 6 places is bound to make many people skeptical.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Garrett Bartholme

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Osborne View Post
That sounds a bit more paranoid than skeptical.
Paranoid; Exhibiting or characterized by extreme and irrational fear or distrust of others

Skeptical; Marked by or given to doubt; questioning.

Being skeptical is a virtue.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Cory,
Point taken. Thank you for your enthusiasm.

Please contribute something new and different in your next six posts. Maybe you could talk about how "The Diet Cure" specifically helped you rather than just giving it a blanket endorsment for everything (which induces skepticism, especially here where so many folks have found their answer in Paleo/Zone).

CFers as a whole are always interested in improving themselves, they need to see real-world black box results from other folks first. Your story might give them that.

If you wish to talk about the Diet Cure and only that book/approach, keep it here in this thread. That way the interested folks will know exactly where this information is located.

If you seem to be "marketing" a bit too much, I can almost guarantee you that the mods won't have you around this board too much longer. Just wanted to give you fair warning.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Cory Osborne

Profile:

My apologies, I got excited about this and wanted to share too quickly. Then I realized I should have just made a single post about it after I posted the same thing in a bunch other people's threads.

What I wanted to say about this book, without sounding like a salesman, is that this book really filled the gaps and questions I had in my mind about nutrition and made some significant changes in my eating habits I never new existed. I feel like always thought I should be feeling.

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to find THE way to becoming as healthy as I possibly can, don't get me wrong, theres time for fun as well. But I wanted a two pronged approach to this. I've always had a lot of will power and it has carried me the through a lot, I have to give the credit to God's blessing though. I know you can lose weight, feel better, and have more energy and ease through life a couple different ways: fitness, and nutrition. Together the possibilities are endless.

I've had an athletic background growing up, soccer, baseball, swimming, football, water polo. I believe in a healthy lifestyle, not short term when I'm training, trying to lose weight, or build muscle, but as longs as I'm still breathing. Then I found CrossFit. I learned in sports that all it comes down to is competing with yourself. I'm not saying that because I lost all the time, it's quite the opposite, I have set records. But you train, train, and then train some more, then finally compete. Whats better than CrossFit, when you get to compete EVERYDAY! So there's the end of the road for me pursuing my fitness goals. I tell you this because I know we have some of this in common.

Then I found this book, The Diet Cure. It was recommended from a friend of mine that is becoming a naturopathic doctor. I'm very enthusiastic about nutrition and it gets to the heart of the problems. Sure it's easier to follow a diet that says everything we market is what you should be eating so all you have to do is look for the label (southbeach? zone diet?). Or stay away from this that and the other, you can do it, I know you can! (paleo, and probably every other diet you see out there). The problem is you know you can't do it on your own, thats why you're looking for a diet plan that works! Truth is, it's not your fault. Truth is, sure these diets may work for one or even some people, but we are not all made the same. Truth is, the same thing that drives you to eat poorly, is the same thing that drives alcoholics to drink. Your brain is searching for that chemical to fill the gaps. When candy, ice cream, chocolate is a drug-like chemical that has the same effects as what your brain and body really needs: amino acids, good fats and many other things. So once you eliminate the want for the things you shouldn't be eating, you can start learning how to eat the proper way you yourself should eat. Yeah, the book will take you questionnaires and tests that gives you a plan that is specifically tailored to you!

So in the end this book has helped me to get on track of eating healthy, not obsessing over calorie counting, proportioning, and cutting carbs and other things that are good for you. The great thing about it, you'll find what amino acids you should be taking for your specific problem, say, polishing off a huge piece of cake to celebrate a good day, possibly because you were always taught you had to finish everything on your plate because kids were starving elsewhere. Now you can't stop! So you find what you need to take to get back eating and living healthy, and you don't have to take those aminos any longer. Some people have more or less severe cases and have to take them longer than others but its not forever. I don't crave sweets, or unhealthy carbs(breads and processed foods, not talking about fruits) after hard workouts. I catch myself eating things like cereal or sweet things out of habit, when it used to make me feel better I just think why did I eat that, it doesn't make me feel any better. I mostly crave fruits and vegetables now and feel much better. Its hard to explain the change but it worked for me, and I didn't have to fallow everything in the book, because if I did, it would be hurting me instead of helping me because those certain things don't follow the my own criteria which the book points out. You get to construct your own 'master plan', for what you need to eat, it's very in depth and has answered every question i've had.

I hope this book will help you no matter what you are looking for and has shed some light on where I'm coming from. Sorry I don't have an incredible story of how I lost 150# but there are 10 years of proven clinical results. So if you want to meet your goals without malnutrition, and make a change that last a lifetime, I hope you'll try this out. Let me know if you have any questions, I'll try to find the answers.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:59 AM   #8
Steve Liberati

Profile:

That still tells us nothing about the book

For example:

Paleo diet = foods humans ate since the dawn of time; foods we as humans are designed to eat.
Zone diet - properly balanced meals in a 40/30/30 ratio.
IF = intermittently fasting. Another old school practice similar to the paleo diet that our genes know all about.

The Diet Cure = ??????
Old 10-03-2007, 05:01 AM   #9
George Mounce

Profile:

The book - (wfs): http://www.dietcure.com/curea.html

A review of the book (wfs): http://www.westonaprice.org/bookreviews/diet_cure.html

Another review (wfs):
http://www.ceri.com/rev-ross.htm

Opposing view (wfs): http://www.chasefreedom.com/dietcure.html
Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:

For those new to nutrition, it sounds like a good book that can teach a lot in a relatively short period.

I have never been sold on the whole amino acid / neurotransmitter magic though. I've gotten several patients lately who were unhappy refugees of that approach from another doctor. Neurotransmitters are an end product, the result of a myriad of other things. Imbalanced neurotransmitters are NOT the cause of disease, they are merely a symptom.