CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
Mike Breslin

Profile:
Hello,
I am new here, and not sure if this is the right forum, but anyways, here goes. I am a former 0331 Marine who is now in college. After trying to be a civilian for three years after my EAS, I am in school full time and am trying to go back in as an officer after college. I have applied for a commissioning program (PLC) and will (hopefully) be attending my first 6 weeks of OCS next summer.

My question is about the running/humping down there and beyond at TBS, ISLC, the Fleet etc. Humping was never my strong suit and to top it off, I have really short legs. Does anyone on these boards have a suggestion as to how I can incorporate a running/humping/Crossfit plan. When I finally get done with school I will be 6-8 years older than my fellow 2nd LT's. I need to be the guy that is in the best shape when I get there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:07 AM   #2
Mike Burgener

Profile:
as a former marine officer i can tell you that crossfit will get you ready!! my mos was 0302 and 9958....an infantry grunt!! follow the wod and you will be fine!! if you want to drop me a note feel free to do so. coach b

mikeburgener@mac.com
Old 05-24-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Tom Brose

Profile:
Cant beat that! Mike, you have the tools to run the younger guys into the ground. let me know if I can help clarify anything from last weekend.

check out the thread below:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/29/19342.html
Old 05-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Mike,
Former Marine officer, as well. Also, a guy with a 29" inseam. You'll be fine if you keep at the WOD's. If I had only known about CF back then!! I would add that taking care of your feet is so important. Most grunts I know are like part-time podiatrists. In addition to CF WoD's, i would add in some forced marches with a pack, just to get used to the tension on your shins from that brisk walking pace with weight. Likely if you're a short guy, you'll get stuck at the back and at the mercy of the slinky effect anyway.
By the way, I now live right outside the back gate of TBS in Stafford. Drop me an email if you want someone to pick you up for a home cooked meal on your libo weekends. I'll give you my cell and standby.

S/F
Dale

(Coach B - I thought there was something I liked about the cut of your jib!)
Old 05-25-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
Mike Breslin

Profile:
Thanks for the responses, and Tom, thanks for the training this weekend. All those snatch variations had me feeling it for a few days. I think I will keep doing Crossfit, work towards doing everything as rx'ed, and incorporate a little more interval/speed work/ and rucks. I hate rucking.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #6
Chris Siler

Profile:
Mike,
On top of WOD/ruck work, be ready to go 1 or 2 weeks out and pencil in some recovery time. 6 weeks comes at you hard and fast with little sleep and less chow, you need to be rested from the start. You know that good boots and socks are key to the rucks. Another benny of CFit, it helps with that mental edge to push the limits physically. Semper Fi from Afghanistan.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
Carla Freund McDonald

Profile:
Mike,

Former Marine Officer here as well. I went through TBS at 30 (In June of 2002) years old...dug it. The WODs are going to be fantastic training.

Chris Siler is right about being ready to go prior to OCS...at OCS you will hump your *** off with a relatively light pack (50 to 70 pounds...nothing like TBS...where you are loaded up with more gear). You will be exhausted and most likely hit about 3 to 4 hours of sleep per night. The WODs will be great as prep for the obstacle course...recommend doing your rope climbs with some gear on your back when you train. Also, muscle up would come in VERY handy.

Mike, would love to talk to you about TBS and pass some knowledge your way if you desire, have questions, etc... My e-mail is Siouxskater@hotmail.com

At TBS, you will do a LOT of humping in the Virginia hills with a heavy laden pack, awkward objects (A-bag was mine; 240G if you're lucky, maybe the saw, etc...you know the deal from your former Marine Corps days). However, TBS and OCS are very, very different in many ways.

As an aside, LOVE to see all the former Marines on this board. I just got out on 1 Dec 05 as a Captain. Loved the Corps. Love civilian life as well.

Whoever HASN'T met Coach Mike Burgener...he is the most legit devil dog you'll ever meet.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
Carla Freund McDonald

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/24892.jpg

Once a Devil Dog, ALWAYS a Devil Dog!!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
Andrew Frantz

Profile:  
I can't add much else to this thread but good luck Marine. There are quite a few prior enlisted Officers, it is almost certain that you won't be the oldest in your OCS or TBS class.

Siler: Keep your head down bro. We are loving Parade Season here at the oddest post.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:32 AM   #10
Chris Siler

Profile:
Andy, Thanks. Semper Fi.