CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:14 AM   #1
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
So, today I have to go get Pepper Sprayed, just wondering if anyone has experienced this in a controlled environment and has any tips or lessons learned from the experience...I'm not too worried about it, but if I can make it as comfortable (probably the wrong word) as possible, I'd like to.

Aush
Old 03-16-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
Donald Woodson

Profile:

No big deal. I did it about 25 years ago in the AF.
If I remember right, they had a little class time to familiarize us with gasmask and suit donning, a few words on the different types of weapons gases and agents, combo pens and such; then they herd everyone into a room, light off some tear gas, wait a few minutes, then they tell you to take the mask off. Of course everybody turns it into a breath holding contest. The smart ones hold their eyes and nose shut too. But in the end, they make sure you breathe it before you leave the room. They want you to be confident in your equipment and see that it really works.
It's a party. Easy as cake, piece a pie.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Aushion - I am an OC Spray Instructor and I have sprayed over a thousand people over the years in training. I have 6 exposures one of which I did to myself when the OC Foam I was spraying bounced off the forehead of a rather large fellow I was trying to arrest who had just carried me up 3 flights of stairs. Different people react very differently to OC exposure, with the general rule being that people with lighter skin and eye color have a longer and more uncomfortable time with OC than our darker skinned and darker eye colored compatriots.

Cool running water and a washing with soap has to begin your decon. Realize that your eyes have not melted and run down your cheeks no matter what it feels like. Keep rinsing and get your eyes open as soon as you can. Blaspherospasm, that involuntary shutting of your eyes will make it difficult for you to pry them open, but you want to get your eyeballs rinsed and wet as quickly as possible because the OC has dehytrated your eyeballs.

I've not tried it myself but a friend of mine that got sprayed by a fellow officer at a fight call used milk and said her eyes felt better very quickly.

When you get sprayed fight the urge to rub it out of your eyes, you will only just make it worse. Think of OC as a bunch of little sperms with chainsaws. They just want to fire those saws up, crawl through your eyelids and get to work on your eyeball. Don't rub them into your eyes, wash them off with soap.

If you have to do some sort of fight after you have been sprayed strobe your eyelids in order to see well enough to find your target and remain aware of your environment. The pain is very short term and more importantly is not the least bit damaging to your eyes.

Get mad, focus your energy on rage and the destruction of your target if you have to hit a bag or something. Have a mission. That focus will keep you from even noticing the pain.

Have fun...tell us how it goes.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Whoa Eugene! That's a lot different than what we did. I don't even think we used OC spray. I guess the old tear gas is different than OC spray?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Wow,

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Eugene appreciate the synopsis. I'm glad I posted on here...I think we do some like 4 station challenges where guys with pads attempt to push us down and disorient us throughout the course. I wish I could bring milk, that definately helped when the chlorine was a little too strong in my Uncle's pool.

Also glad to hear I may do better being black. I'm about as dark as humans come, so cool...

I'll let you know how it pans out. I just wished we could've done it in the morning instead of after lunch...guess they don't want us to have the whole day off.

I think we also beat each other w/batons for awhile, but that I'm not worried about at all.

Aush
Old 03-16-2005, 12:20 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Donald - OC is an inflammatory agent whereas CS and CN or tear gas are chemical irritants. The problem with mace type products is that their effect was as a result of the vaporization of the liquid that was sprayed onto the person. Those vapors would eventually effect the person (the fight would go on while waiting for the mace to work) but so too would they effect everyone who got anywhere near the suspect. As you might imagine driving a guy to jail that had been maced finds the officer hanging his head out the window to breathe.

OC stands for Oleo-Resin Capsicum and capsicum is what makes hot peppers hot. It is natural rather than chemical, does not displace oxygen and can be sprayed directly into a suspect's eyes which makes for a much more rapid effect. Just as importantly OC is non-persistent, washes off with soap and water and settles quickly so it does not over-contaminate anywhere near as badly as mace does. Great product.

Aushion - strobe the eyes. You need to blink rapidly during the fight to keep remoistening them. That's why they hurt. Try to avoid curling your body inwardly - you will see others do that. It is a waste of time and energy. Take the shot, work up a lather of anger which will make the pain a non-issue and crush your opponents. Focus, Aushion, focus on the tasks you have to do. Ignore the pain. It's just a petty annoyance made insignificant by getting a rage on.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Dammit! I missed all the fun!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:29 PM   #8
Dan Silver

Profile:

I've been OC'd many times now. Once under a controlled setting and all the other times under very uncontrolled settings. OC works really well on most cops and okay on most bad guys. It's the Murphy's law of chemical agents I suppose.

Anyhow, OC doesn't suck that bad. I can still see, breathe and work after being sprayed. It hurts but you get used to it. You'll be fine.

-D.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Gene, milk works great for the burning. We used to put it in our eyes after every swim practice to ease the burn of chlorine. Also, I've heard that the water doesn't really help much and sometimes makes the burn worse because it spreads the capsicum. On a side note, my cousin who loves to make super hot sauces says the antidote is a slice of avocado.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:15 AM   #10
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Well it's all over, and it hurt like hell but yeah, it's over after an hour and a half or so...although I heard some guys that waited to shower that night had reflashes after spreading it from hair/forehead back into eyes.

And yes the water did make it hurt alot worse but I just stuck my head under cold shower water for like 10 minutes gradually increasing the temperature and before long it burned worse to keep my head in the water, than to take it out...after that I was fine.

Although my left ear burned until about 7:45pm...I got sprayed around 3.

Overall good experience...it definately bonds you to the people you go through it with...not sure the milk did anything more for me than the water was doing though. It was just another cold substance that made me feel better...much like the wind.

Aush