CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-19-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Profile:
The last month or so I've noticed a bit of pain in my left wrist it feels like it's in the joint and not the surrounding ligaments/tendons. The pain seems to radiate down the pinkie and ring finger from the back of my wrist.

I feel the most pain when I OHS with anything over a certain rep range. Something as light as 95 pounds starts to ache around 6 reps and by 12-15 reps my wrist is toasted. However I do feel pain when I do something as simple as a regular pushup position i.e. pushups, burpees, planks...etc (only true if palm is flat on the ground, fist pushups are fine). Even something as slight as pushing myself up out of my chair by the armrests can start to hurt if I hold that position long enough.

I've never had a bad injury to my wrist that I can recall but I've always felt that I can jam my wrists easily and I'm not sure where that came from. I know when I went through Army Basic a few years ago, getting dropped all the time definitely aggravated the heck out of my wrist back then. Since then I haven't had too many wrist pains except when I first started doing cleans and front squats but the pain was in a different area than right now.

I've tried different stretches, band traction and the joint rotations from Super Joints. Nothing seems to make it go away. Anyone else with any input/suggestions/experience?

Old 03-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Alex McClung

Profile:
Allen, I get the same thing, sometimes from burpees, most recently from the March 13 WOD (OH lunges, etc...). Bearing any weight on the flat palm is excruciating, yet a closed hand is fine. Tingling along the medial epicondyle during wrist extension also comes with my syndrome. I think it's some goofy nerve impingement, and it usually works itself out in about 4-5 days. I get this once/twice per year. I notice a positive difference if I go through a strong warm-up and stretch sequence. I'm sure greater minds can lay out the anatomy and preventive/corrective actions, but you're not alone.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
If this was me, I'd ice and rest and wrap my wrists on any overhead snatch movements. I'd have a chiropractor adjust my wrists as well.