CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
Jason Smith

Profile:
Everytime a put in an all out effort I get a headache. Any idea what may cause this?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 08-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
What are some examples? Is it all out effort in squats, or running, or handstand pushups? Or all of the above? Is it a throbbing headache, or splitting, or like a migraine?

It could be that you are going too hard too fast, and time will acclimate your body to the stresses. It could be diet or sleep related.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I imagine it could be a lot of things. One simple possibility is neck tension. Maybe a significant other can massage your neck after exercise and tell you how tense it is.

Might also have to do with blood pressure although they say that the effects don't manifest themselves too much.

Not sure whether a migraine-type headache might be triggered.

Also, possibly low blood sugar. Try a workout drink during your workout.

some of these are guesses. But maybe they'll start you thinking about causes.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Jason Smith

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback. It usually doesn't matter what activity I am doing, but instead just the level of intensity. I have had this happen for many years - just dealt with it.

The type of headache is throbbing. Once I have it - it generally stays with me all day. I do have quite a bit of neck tension (caused by stress and too much time in an office!). My diet has been fairly horrible lately. Getting back into the zone this week! Only average about 7 hours of sleep per night working at increasing that to between 8 and 9 (hope to actually achieve 8)
Old 08-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Kevin Burns

Profile:
I had this problem when I started the WOD's also but it seems to have subsided.

2 things which help...

1. Water Intake
2. Breathing

What exercises do you get it ? I've noticed that the ones like Barbara where you get rest in between rounds seem to affect me much worse.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
About half of the Neck Pain/Head Ache patients I see, the problem is related to upper trapezium problems whether its muscle spasm or weakness, compensating for injured rotator cuff, or overworking due to weak or inhibited cervical stabilizers. Posture can have a big part to play in this as well. Blood Pressure can be a definite cause of HA during exercise and you need to make sure that is not the problem.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
Jason Smith

Profile:
Kevin - I will definitely make sure I am breathing and drink some more water (I know I haven't been drinking enough).

Jeremiah - If my blood pressure is normal during the day do I need to check whether it is high while exercising (sorry, but I know nothing about this stuff)? Also, I am currently in physical therapy for my left shoulder. I have a partial tear where the biceps tendon connects in (I think that it is), but this bothered long before I was injured.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:14 AM   #8
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
As long as your resting blood pressure isn't high you are most likely alright.

Have you talked to your PT about the headaches? If they are any good, they should be able to help you if the problem is muscle spasm or tightness.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:55 AM   #9
Jason Smith

Profile:
Thanks Jerimiah, I will ask him tomorrow morning when I go again for my shoulder. Very happy with the place - I think they do a great job.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:50 AM   #10
Maximus Lewin

Profile:
I'm thinking I agree with the H20 intake comments above: I mostly never get headaches, but when I do I am almost always dehydrated.