CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Thought some of you senior people would get a hoot out of this...
My best friend is a state trooper, 4th Dan in jujitsu, and generally fit guy who owns a dojo. I wanted to get him onto CF. I sent him two emails. No response. I called and left one or two phone messages. Nothing, some polite responses when I talked to him. I went to visit him for a week and brought some CF Journals with me (What is fitness, Foundations, and Garage Gym). I talked with him and he was polite and did say I looked like I was in good shape and he could see a difference. I left the journals next to the crapper and I noticed they got shuffled around, but didn't look like they were read. I did a workout in his basement (Cindy, off of his stairs for pu's - 17 rds in 17 mins) and he was a little piqued. Still, not much.
Finally, I showed him Eva's muscle up clip and Lloyd's and told him how I had struggled, but finally got a muscle up. He took gymnastics in high school for a few years and seemed interested. Evidently, they have rings at the barracks where he works. Next day he came to me and was flabbergasted: "I can't do that muscleup thing." "Shocking," I replied. "I mean, I must be missing the technique, right? Is there a trick to it?" "Nope." Next day, I put him through a 1/2 Cindy and he was crushed (I had to assist for 7 of 9 rds of pullups). He thought that 10 mins couldn't possibly be enough time for a workout, so I did Tabata squats (4 mins) with him. The next day I came out of my room and he was standing at the top of the stairs looking down.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"Trying to figure out how I'm going to get down. My legs are crushed, you a$%(*&^*!."

He now calls twice a week to let me know his workout times, weights, etc. HahAA!! His last quote to me: "Wait until I've been doing this for two months!"
Old 01-22-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Dale - you are one persistant dude. Well done. You selected the perfect A-type "a girl can do this but you can't" conversion method which was exactly what your trooper friend needed. The stair thing is hilarious and must have been fun to watch. Watch out for him in 2 months though. I fear you may have created a monster.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Eugene,
As we have been friends and training partners since high school, I have been getting my *** handed to me for almost 20 years now (doing karate, ju jitsu, etc.). A little payback is in order; however, I fear that in 2 months, the whippings are going to get much, much worse. Oh, well.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
One other great thing, though, he has immediately started asking how much rings cost, are there starter parallel bars? could they fit in the basement of the dojo? and pullup bars, yes definitely pullup bars. I'm hoping this will lead to the birth of an affiliate during the late summer.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Vincent Gerbert

Profile:  
haha...
I had fun reading you'r post Dale.

http://www.ringtraining.com/pages/faq.htm
"How do you hook up the rings? What if I live in an apartment?

The Power Ring Training System can be set up in a variety of ways. You can run it through an eye bolt or you can wrap it around a beam. Once you have the strap over the beam or through the eye bolt, you simply run the strap through the buckle and you are ready to go.
If you live in an apartment, you can take your rings to a local park or playground and put them up over a swing set, monkey bars or whatever else you can find. Be sure that your area will be free of obstructions. One of the advantages of going outside is that you can add some sprints or jogging between sets for variety.
The Power Rings can even be set up over a doorway pullup bar, but you will be slightly more limited in your exercise selection."

I guess you can put them almost everywhere...
Old 01-23-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
I just got my email from Tyler. Had to reorder rings, but shouldn't be any delay. Coming this week!! The new ones look awesome (with the strap through the ring itself). I can't wait to try them on the smith machine at the gym. My goal is to get the ten ring hspu's challenge by year's end.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:22 AM   #7
Butch White

Profile:

Dale - Eugene is probably right; you may have created a CF monster, which will be good for pushing you both further along the fitness continuum.

Last fall I had a typical "intro to CF" discussion with a friend at a HS football game. He played football in college and has worked-out and stayed in good shape since then. (He's also a deputy in the county sheriff's department.) He evidently liked what he found here at CF because he has jumped into CF with both feet and has recently been posting some incredibly impressive times and ME's. It's been good having someone I know pushing me further out of my comfort zone.

He's definitely an example of Coach Rutman's idea that the folks who come from a heavy strength training background progress to higher levels of CF fitness more quickly. He's gotten his wife & kids scaling the WOD's (while my wife is still on the CF side lines) and hopefully he'll get some of his fellow deputies to join in also.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:49 AM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Great story Dale! Action speaks louder than words!!