CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
How do you do it? Meaning, how do you consume all those veggies in one day? I am on a 20 block zone, and am giving paleo a try for the second time, but am having an incredible amounts of trouble eating enough carbs from veggies. I am trying to stay away from relying on fruits to get my carb blocks somewhere close to 20, but find it impossible. Maybe some advice on preparing veggies from the veterans out there. Perhaps some calorie dense foods that can help (I do eat sweet potato, which helps!).

The reason this is my 2nd time trying paleo, is because the first time I became carb deficient, and was crashing during WOD's. I did feel great, but couldn't keep up with the physical demands of my body. That was a year ago, and today I have a better understanding of blocks, and am hoping that I can avoid where I went wrong the first time through, but a week in, history seems to want to repeat itself.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan
Old 04-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Brandon Michael Enos

Profile:
I've never followed the Zone, or researched it heavily, so I dont know anything about blocks, but in order to get all of my carbs from vegetables since I cut grains out of my diet is I just made sure to have a large salad everytime I eat.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Tom C Lopez

Profile:
i think im always a bit under what the zone would recommend in carbs, just eat a couple of bits of fruit a day and as much veg as i feel like with my meals.
i found it usefull to eat a bit of fruit before the WOD for the first few weeks, but as your body adapts more and more it will use mostly fat to fuel the workouts..

make sure you make up the calories you need in fat, and animal fat preferably.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
There is no way I am anywhere near my 20 blocks of carbs, I am conceding to be well under that amount. But even 16 blocks is hard to come by, and with my previous experience following the zone I seem to have a performance decline anywhere under that amount.

So Brandon, what you are saying is that you eat veggies until you are full, and your body will adjust? Use fruit sparingly, but don't be shy to eat them at the beginning, especially before or after workouts.

That pretty much is my current plan, by default.

Are there others out there that follow a paleo/zone that can consume enough carb blocks to stay in zone porportions?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Erik Reckdenwald

Profile:
Eat a ton of fat. I eat less than 8 blocks of carbs on an average day. Substitute 3 blocks of fat for every block of carbs that you don't eat, to replace the calories.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
Brad Davis

Profile:
OK, I'll ask the dumb question: What's wrong with eating lots of fruit? :crazy: I eat a lot of apples, blueberries, oranges, peaches, and bananas, probably 6-8 total during the day. Not packing on fat and feel fine.

I've been trying to work my way into the Paleo Diet (probably 2/3 the way there) and I get a lot of my carbs from fruit. I don't have to eat 40 lb of it to get 20 g of carbs (slight exaggeration, LOL).

I don't seem to remember the Paleo Diet folks being down on fruit, but maybe I missed it.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Kevin McKay

Profile:
fructose goes to the liver and if not used is converted to fat, but if you do not eat to much should be ok. Also some fruits have better fructose glucose ratios.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritio...its_table.html
Old 04-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
fructose goes to the liver and if not used is converted to fat, but if you do not eat to much should be ok. Also some fruits have better fructose glucose ratios.

Fructose has a glycemic index of 20. It's converted to glucose in the liver and then can be used to replenish muscle glyocegen.

The problem with fructose is that it has to go to the liver and if you consume to much, it sits in your blood waiting to be absorbed by the liver. That's discussed in paleo diet for athletes. Unprocessed fructose in your blood is where the problem is according to Cordain. I don't recall the explanation exactly but it sends a confusing signal regarding your blood sugar levels and that causes your body to store fat.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
Brad Davis

Profile:
Actually, I seem to remember something about that now.

Soooo, is there any way to know what's too much fruit?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
Maybe what I am looking for is some examples. All the information I have read on this thread, and many others have all helped, but what I am asking and looking for is fairly black and white. Are there people out there that can consume 16-20 blocks of carbs from paleo friendly foods, and less then a third coming from fruits? If so, can you give me examples or advice on how you prepare your foods for the day?

thanks again,

jordan