CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Celio Silva

Profile:
The UFC WW Dillema

So GSP's championship took another huge hit this past Saturday's when Ellenberger trashed Shields in less than a minute

Before Shields, GSP fought a one-eye Koscheck for rounds and couldn't finish him, although Paulo Thiago had no problem disposing of him in 3 1/2 minutes.

Before Koscheck GSP "fought" Hardy for 5 rounds without putting a single scratch on him, while Condit KOed Hardy in 1 round and Lyte put a beating on him for 15 minutes.

So the WW division has an athlete-champion who is crusing, whether fans want to admit or not. When Tim Sylvia did the same thing, everyone protested. Randy came out of retirement calling Tim's championship BS and took the belt away from him.

In the Shields fight we saw the champ shrink in the face of adversity and at least one judge gave Shields the last 2 rounds. Have you ever seen Shields beat anyone up standing?

Are we heading towards a new champ (Condit, Ellenberger, Diaz) who will emerge in violent fashion by dethroning an ultra-conservative champ? Or are we heading for the longest athletic reign of combat sports? What does the future of the division hold and what does it mean to the sport?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: The UFC WW Dillema

On that Koscheck fight, I thought - and still think- that GSP wanted to inflict pain/punishment on him because of all the BS and trash talk that went on during TUF.
I've got it on the DVR - may need to watch it again to verify my feelings on it.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Hater's gonna hate....

Be that as it may, his championship doesn't take a hit until someone actually beats him. What happens outside of his fights means nothing with regards to his status.

I'd like to see Fitch get another chance, he's certainly earned it. Diaz brings it but wouldn't be much of a challenge. Ellenburger and Condit should make for interesting fights. I can see either of those guys being able to get a win.

It is an interesting dilema...a dominant champion that doesn't excite but continues to win. I don't think it will have an impact on the popularity of the sport one way or the other, but you might see guys take a more methodical approach to their game-planning and fighting. Fight bonuses are nice, but nothing compared to the scratch that the champions make. I don't think it's going to result in a bunch of boring fighters though, because it is a really rare breed of person that can step into a cage to fight AND have the patience to execute a grinding game plan.

All in all, I think the UFC WW has a lot of good fighters and they should be able to put together great fights for the foreseeable future.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

So, I'm watching the GSP- Koscheck fight now. GSP had damaged the eye in the first minute of the first round - he saw blood and just continued to pound it with jabs, and he even got some head kicks to land on it.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

End of the first round, you can see Kos' eye is already almost closed. GSP's corner is telling him his jab is working and to keep using it.
All strategy, I believe.
And, since it was in front of his home crowd of 23,000, you've got to think that GSP wants to inflict punishment for any real or perceived slights he received during the TUF season.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

End of second round, Koscheck's corner tells him it is time to press.
GSp's corner tells him to continue because what he's doing is working and to look out for the upper cut.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

3rd round, totally ineffective for Kos. GSP continues to land at will.
GSP's corner says "circle and jab." also told "you won the first 3 but we need a knockout."
Kos' corner - Herb Dean looking on with the Medical team. Telling him he can't see out of his eye, but herb asks, "you can fight, right?". Kos nods, yes.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

The more I watch this, the more I believe GSP just wanted to inflict punishment. When he was landing with jabs in the 4th, he'd then switch to hooks and leg kicks, then would go back to jabs. He was doing it to punish and embarass Kos.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

It looked like a man fighting a boy; a cat playing with a mouse. The kill shot was never thought of, because it was never pulled. This was a lesson being taught by master to student.

Back to you, Celio.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Celio Silva

Profile:

Sean, I see your point, but combat sports don't work that way. This is not basketball or football. When you are rolling (BJJ) you demonstrate real dominance by submiting your opponent, not just by outpointing him; simply outpointing him means he survived you and you couldn't finish him. The goal of BJJ is submission, and the goal of a fight is no different: TERMINATION. There is no better way to show complete dominance and to secure a win in MMA than to finish your opponent and have the fight stopped, either because the referee had to pull you off him (TKO), or because he was submitted/KOed by you.

When Silva showboats and chooses to simply dominate every round against an opponent the whole world cries foul, but when GSP does it is considered dominance. I don't get it. Is it because of their looks, personalities, nationalities, etc...?

Winning a fight AT HIS HOMETOWN against a one-eyed opponent by landing jabs for 25 minutes is NOT impressive. When Hughes finished BJ, GSP went up on the cage and said to Hughes: "I am not impressed by your performance", even though Hughes had just finished one of the very best in the sport, and after initially being dominated and almost chocked out. Well GSP, I know your canadian fans were not impressed by your performance either, they would MUCH rather have seen you finish Koscheck, but the truth is you were to afraid of losing to get the job done; you played EXTRA safely.

Silva on the other hand showed how it's done when he destroyed Okami in Rio.

Much respect to you Sean, for always having a positive attitude here!