CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
Hilary Willis

Profile:
CF Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I am in week 2 of CrossFit and it is super challenging. I am a mom to twin boys, 6, and a new baby girl, 4 months. I am really out of shape and started CF to not just lose weight but gain strenth. I am 5'9, 187 pounds and the heaviest I have been (besides pregnant) in my life. I am done having kids and want to ensure that I can keep up with the three I have for a very long time.

I have a few questions for everyone. First, I have such a long road ahead of me. I can't do a pull up, can only go up 1/2 way with a black band. I can't do a sit up nor can I do a regular push up. I am working with a local affiliate who is super encouraging and supportive. I am lucky to have found them, I honestly believe they will help me reach my goals. I find that I can get discouraged with myself. Does anyone have any good reads on self talk or strategies to work with self doubt?

Also, I did puke during my first WOD. I realize now I shouldnt have eaten that bowl of cereal before a workout. What do you find is the best thing to eat before a workout? I usually workout at 8am or 10am.

I love this website and have read many threads that have been very helpful. I would love to connect with people that are new to CF like me. I would appreciate support and encouragement and can provide you the same on our journey to ultimate health.

Cheers,
Hilary
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
Matth Challoner

Profile:
Re: CF Newbie

Hey Hilary, welcome to the boards.

I cant help you on the self motivation thing, but diet wise i would check out the paleo diet.

Hope it helps, Good Luck!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
David Churchill

Profile:

Welcome from another newb. All I can say encouragement wise is the only way from here performance wise is up. You can do it! My wife is in the same situation...not quite as many kids lol but she's post pregnancy and wanting to get back in shape. Research CrossFit BrandX, use assists on your pull ups, and do your push ups on your knees. The strength will come. Good job for starting, keep with it, and remember "Who Dares, Wins". Now to go run the 5k.

Last edited by David Churchill : 07-29-2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Misspelling.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

, Hilary. Hop over to the Girl Power thread in the Community section. It's a good crew.

I was 5'8, 175 lbs when I started. No pushup, no pullup, 7 situps on the fit test at the Y. This talks a little about my journey, especially from the "mom" perspective: http://paleochix.com/?p=1957. My log documents all of my workouts from the beginning...when I kicked and screamed on the floor of my family room trying to get my first full pushup.

I'm happy to answer any questions. PM me if you want.

Nothing worth having, every came easily. You have twins. CrossFit will probably be easier than that .

Last edited by Tamara Cohen : 07-29-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Nicole Perryman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Nothing worth having, every came easily. You have twins. CrossFit will probably be easier than that .
Very well put! I don't think I could raise twins, I really don't. That in itself shows inner strength!!!

I am a mom of 2, my boy is 6 and my girl is 4. I started out about the same way you are- 5'9", 172lbs. Pull ups? Yeah right. Running? HA. I wanted to be able to do it very badly, and the more I went to my affiliate and tried the worse I wanted it. Now, 5 months later, I CAN do pull ups (I still use bands), I CAN do pushups, and I really can run in distances I NEVER thought I would ever do. The WOD's are hard- but when I get done, I'm glad I did it. The longer you do this the stronger and more confident you will become, and you will find a pride in yourself that you never thought possible (besides being a mother, cause nothing tops that).
Go to it everyday not "I HOPE I can do this", instead say "I'm GOING to do this". Don't leave any room to think about quitting.
The paleo diet advice is the best anyone could have given me- it will change your life. Get rid of your scale- just throw it in the top of a closet or something and don't get on it. I didn't lose very much weight at all, because of the muscle mass increase. But I have dropped several clothes sizes since I started.

Anyhoo, if you need anything at all, you can PM me. Even if it's just to vent.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Hilary Willis

Profile:

Thanks everyone for the posts! Another workout today, I have slightly improved my rowing time from last week. I am pretty motivated today - I cant wait to improve more!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Tyler Afflerbach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary Willis View Post
Thanks everyone for the posts! Another workout today, I have slightly improved my rowing time from last week. I am pretty motivated today - I cant wait to improve more!
Good Job!! its those little things that make a big difference things like improving your rowing time shows that you can really do it. For me is trying to increase my pullups slowly but surely i am getting stronger and welcome to crossfit
Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Hilary Willis

Profile:

Hey Tyler, we are neighbors. Which affiliate do you train at? Issaquah? Thanks for the post.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
Tyler Afflerbach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary Willis View Post
Hey Tyler, we are neighbors. Which affiliate do you train at? Issaquah? Thanks for the post.
O wow i didn't even look where you were located

Anyways i go to the cascade crossfit(which is basically near Issaquah) is that the one you go to? I usually go almost everyday at 6pm due i work 8am to 4:30pm and i am not a morning person

If you go there hopefully i will see you there
Old 07-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
Hilary Willis

Profile:

I go to Maple Valley Crossfit. But, I do know people that have gone or currently go to the Crossfit in Issaquah. Small world!