CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
David Churchill

Profile:
Hey Everybody - Introduction

My name is David Churchill, and I have officially been doing Crossfit for about a week and a half now. I'm enjoying the heck out of it!

Little background on me: I am 22 yrs old, 6', 185lbs. I am married to a beautiful young lady, and we have a trooper of a son who was diagnosed in Feb. 2010 with Infantile Spasms (a seizure disorder). He's one year old.

I am a Tennessee Air National Guard Firefighter and a civilian Firefighter/EMT. My last PT test I was severely disappointed in my run time. That, and my increasing layer of fat on my stomach made me ask some questions of some of my coworkers and one of 'em turned me onto CrossFit.

So far I've been able to complete the main page WOD's with little or no modification, though my time is SLOW. I AM already seeing a differance though and that is encouraging me greatly. My personal goals are to bring my run time for the 1.5M down to below 12:15, to increase my ability to do my job (firefighting) well/better, and (vainly) to have a sixpack lol. Never had one before and I'm thinking my wife would like it. Call me stupid if you want but oh well.

I'm also slowly talking my wife around to trying CF BrandX. She's extremely depressed about her weight (even though I think she looks pretty darn good considering all the crap we've been through lately) and I'm wanting to help her, so any advice would be more than appreciated (I have been doing searches and reading on the website).

Anyways, thats the SITREP. Glad to be here and looking forward to trying to kill myself every day from now on lol.

Dave
Old 07-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: Hey Everybody - Introduction

Welcome and good luck to both of you! A little piece of advice: Check out some diet related stuff...both of your goals will come faster and easier if you support your workouts with good clean eating. Search around a lot on these boards, I guarantee most questions about food have been answered, and most potential excuses for not eating well have been called out

Finally, send your wife to the Girl Power thread and I encourage both of you to jot down your measurements and current lifts and times, if you have them, and keep a record of how they are progressing. Most likely you'll see a giant increase in strength and performance before you see your six pack, and in both of your cases your weight in pounds may hold steady or even increase despite losing lots of fat and gaining muscle.

Again, welcome.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Eric Chapman

Profile:

A fellow East TN man. Welcome.

Are you cf'ing at the Maryville affiliate?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
David Churchill

Profile:

Actually no. I'd love to go to an actual CF facility but finances are such that I can't afford it...sooo I do it at work and as much as I can at home. I have no workout equipment so while at home is when I have to do the most modifying or I just go run. Like today instead of doing the 5K, I did "Roy" and tomorrow when I'm off shift I'll do the 5K. Oughta be fun in this darn heat and humidity.

I do know at least one Knoxville City Firefighter that I believe does his CF workouts there though. The name Perkinson ring a bell?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
David Churchill

Profile:

Also, thank you for the welcome Meghan and Eric.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Nicole Perryman

Profile:

Welcome!!!

I definately agree with Meghan- send your wife to the Girl Power thread. It's really good reading and if she has any questions she can ask.
I think it's awesome that you are both trying to get into CF at the same time. That will really help both of you IMO. I wish I could get my husband to do it. Time maybe will change that...