CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Sterling Haglund

Profile:
I did 4 single MU's in one day, now 0 for 8?

I don't know whats going on. Last week I was taking my 2nd foundations crossfit class and told my coach I'd like to try a muscle up. So at the end of the class to my amazment and Coach Clarke and Coach Mia I did my very first muscle up on my first ever attempt. We were all a bit shocked I think. I managed to do another single after celebrating with hoots and highfives! I went home that afternoon cut a hole in my garage ceiling and hung my elite rings from the rafters and was able to do two more.

Now I can't get past the transition. I have the false grip, thinking of driving my hips, keeping arms in to chest so shoulders can get over hands. Ah I'm I very frustrated. Has anyone else had this problem? Also what do you wrap your rings with? Many thanks in advance. 0 for 8 and discouraged!

Sterling Haglund
Crossfit Langley
Old 10-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: I did 4 single MU's in one day, now 0 for 8?

It would be helpful if you can get a vid of the attempts. It's hard to diagnose a problem without seeing it.

Sometimes driving the hips forces the elbows in front and the shoulders back which would not allow you to rotate your hands to your armpits. That's the main problem people run into when they try to kip hard without controlling it well. That's my guess at least.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Sterling Haglund

Profile:

Thanks Steve for your prompt response. Tonight i'll video it and post tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
David Sailor

Profile:

Sterling,

I had the same issue although I had many, many failed attempts prior to the first sucess. I was really getting upset at being unable to do a MU. I have a home gym and no access to a facility so I was attempting based on what I read and the online videos.

One night I just walked into my gym and said "what the hell" and before I knew it, I was on top of the rings. I couldn't have surprised myself more. I called my wife down to demonstrate and got another. Got two more that night then couldn't do another one for a month. It just didn't click. Now they come much easier.

I think the short of this story is that it's technique. You have the strength, you just need to be consistent in your technique. I'm sure Stephen will be able to make some quick refinements to your technique if you get a video up. Good luck, David.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Sterling Haglund

Profile:

Thanks David for the info. Nice to know there someone else who's seen the the view from uptop then was handcuffed for a period of time. OK I'll get that video up for Steve to Critique. Thanks to you both!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Sean Manseau

Profile:

hey sterling--

you might just be fatigued. even now, when i can regularly get five or more in a row (not a big deal, i know), if i try to get up on the rings the day after an intensive pull-up workout, or before i'm really warmed up, i'll miss. so don't get discouraged, just give yourself a chance to recover. and keep in mind the little technical things that can mean the difference between success and failure: keep the rings as close together as you can as you pull towards the chest, and then pull them out like you're tearing off your t-shirt. hope that helps!
Old 10-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:

I hit one the first time we had rings up, and it took me about 6 months to get another. I feel your pain. Part of it was just spending more time on the rings, but what helped the most was learning to do a bar muscle up (or kip-to-support, I suppose). Once I could get kipping ring muscle ups, I've gradually tried to use less and less kipping. Still have a hard time not using my hips though. Bad habit, wish I'd had more (any) gymnastics instruction while I was learning. Oh well, add it to the list of stuff to work on...
Old 11-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
Matthew Albanese

Profile:

I ran into a similar problem with pistols. Got so excited when I found I was first able to do singles without a counterbalance that I did a whole bunch in a single day, then couldn't do them for a few days.

I think it comes down to neurological fatigue. These are max strength efforts for most of us when we first acquire the ability to do them. I just figured it takes longer to recover depending on how much you pushed the evelope in a single day.

Thing is, I just got my first muscle up yesterday!!! I was alone at the gym and hung the rings from the ceiling (they were on the pull-up bar before).

I left them there so that I could prove to everybody today that I can do them...let's hope I didn't make the same mistake!!!!