CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #31
Bryan Selent

Profile:
Re: Can't decide on a bar...

X Training Equipment has their 28mm bearing bar on sale for $250 shipped w/ code ELITEBAR for the next two weeks. Looks like a good bar.

Work Safe
http://www.xtrainingequipment.com/X-...ng_p_1324.html
Old 08-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #32
Joey Allen

Profile:

Get a bare steel updated Rogue Castro bar!! No coating to worry about.. lol. Okay, I'm biased. I love mine, but it does require some maintenance.

Face the facts, you're gonna want two bars in the long run. A 28.5mm general purpose/strength/power bar and a 28mm Oly bar. Get the Chan bar now, and a 28mm bar in the future once you hit some nice Oly lift milestones..

Good luck bud.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #33
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
Snir,

This is my two cents so take it for what it is worth. I lifted for about 4 years on a Rogue 1.0 bar. Great bar to lift with, decent spin took a lot of abuse. It started as a black zinc bar but if you actually use the bar the zinc will eventually wear off. I use chalk and sweat...a lot so it looked pretty well worn last fall when I sold it. I bought a Pendlay bearing bar and use it for everything. Much better spin and I like the grip as well. Same thing though, it has a zinc finish on it and it looks well...worn in. I have had zero issues with it.

If I was to buy again a training bar, I would definitely be looking at 28mm (you can tell the difference) and unless you are squatting and deadlifting huge wieghts you will be fine. I would also go chrome if I could, just cause i don't clean my barbell very often. That is more aesthetics than performance though.

Good luck !
thank you for that. i remember that someone here was using the Pendlay bar but couldn't remember who so i am very happy that you chimed in!!! right now i am 98% sure i am going with the Rogue training bar. like you said, my number are not massive enough so i doubt i will be able to really notice it during powerlifting. i know yours is the bearing bar and the Rogue that i am looking at is bushing but the feedback about the 28mm is what i was looking for.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #34
Larry Larned

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Selent View Post
X Training Equipment has their 28mm bearing bar on sale for $250 shipped w/ code ELITEBAR for the next two weeks. Looks like a good bar.

Work Safe
http://www.xtrainingequipment.com/X-...ng_p_1324.html
Have any of you used this bar? It seems like a steal, but I don't know anything about X Training.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #35
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Larned View Post
Have any of you used this bar? It seems like a steal, but I don't know anything about X Training.
it does seem like a steal, $300 with free shipping for an oly bearing bar, that's super cheap. however, when it comes to something like a bar, i would just feel more comfortable buying from one of the known names like Rogue, Pandley , Vulcan etc..

edit: i actually found a review for this bar:

http://joelxfit.wordpress.com/2014/0...ring-bar-20kg/

link is SFW.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #36
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

I've thought about getting a bearing bar, and I think the new rogue oly bar looks top notch. The review from Sean Hutchinson on his website really convinced me of its quality, especially because I know he has probably used just about every top level bar in training the lifts.

I have two excalibur bars from rep fitness, I I love their quality. The new bearing bar version of it looks great too and at a great price. So that one would also probably be at the top of the list.

If I had been ready to pull the trigger at the time, I would have no doubt picked up a used games rogue bearing bar in polished chrome, because it is probably the only time I'd pay the premium to get that coating since it was such a steal.

However, I have always wanted to try the DHS training bar since it is priced about the same as the above two bars and the pendlay bearing bar, yet it is the only one out of those that has an IFW certification (on the comp bar) and I've heard a lot of great things about it compared to even eleiko or werksan.

And of course maybe at that point since I'd be spending so much anyways, I might even have to just step it up to eleiko anyways.

Good luck with the selection though, I'd love to have more reviews directly comparing bars to make the choice a bit easier.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #37
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

ZKC are coming to the states and I liked the one I lifted on more than the DHS. And the DHS is a GOOD bar.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #38
Snir Golan

Profile:

anybody here has experience with the Rep Fitness Excalibur bushing bar? 28mm, bright zinc, 200k strength, $300~ shipped, lifetime warranty and from the few videos i have seen, amazing spin.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #39
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
anybody here has experience with the Rep Fitness Excalibur bushing bar? 28mm, bright zinc, 200k strength, $300~ shipped, lifetime warranty and from the few videos i have seen, amazing spin.
I have a bright zinc excalibur and a black manganese excalibur bushing bar. The bar is top quality. The spin is awesome for a bushing bar. The bar is silent when dropped, the knurling feels good and is perfectly uniform. I think I prefer the ohio bar knurling that I have used but not by much. The sleeves don't move laterally at all so you know the tolerances are very tight. The whip on the bar is ridiculous too.

I love these bars, I use them for everything. They are awesome for the Olympic lifts but I also have no problems using them for everything else. The black manganese coating is awesome too. Also the sleeves are chrome so they don't scratch or flake at all.

I've used the bars for almost a year 6 days a week. They look great still. I also have the women's version of the bar which is also awesome.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #40
John Burgeson

Profile:

Snir,

http://www.vulcanstrength.com/Vulcan...r-p/vebb20.htm WFS 220,000PSI

http://www.fringesport.com/collectio...lympic-barbell WFS 216,000PSI

lol buy a bar