CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #31
David S Keisler

Profile:
As an intro to PU 102 ie second semester @ Eugenes PUU Pull Up Univ. I did 5 sets of 10PUs with a 20# vest & a few assorted MUs...let the games begin
Thanks for the neat calender Eugene.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:29 PM   #32
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
My pleasure David. I did Oliva on Thursday and then followed that with Bad Omen which is 6 push press followed by 6 pullups with a 20 lb vest on for 6 sets. Took me 4:15. I'm trying to get in lots of runnning miles for this loony race I'm doing on June 25th (I have no base this season) so I have been running each day spicing up today's run (on my treadmill) by stopping now and then to do pullups. I switched grips just for an occasional change, did them on the trapeze bar, did them with one hand in the finger loops and did the last mile of the run stopping every 10th to do 10 pullups. I did a total of 200. I think I should work my way up to 500 or so throughout the day. No skin tears yet. My bars are taped though and that seems to protect my hands well.

Part way through I got an ache between my shoulder blades. It was worsened with a palms in grip for some reason. Of course knocking off 200 pullups out the blue might have done it with any hand position.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:26 AM   #33
David S Keisler

Profile:
Well ive been cruising around the net trying to find out what the record for PUs is. I found some comments to records but no real difinitive numbers. Looks as if a guy did 644 PUs inan hour last year. An anticle was in the SF Chronicle... he made reference to the fact that he had done about 90 consecutives then said that he thought the record was @ 135 for consecs.... anyway any of you guys know. In another ref. someone said a Marine had done about 70plus @ boot camp.I would bet thats not an unusual # for a gymnast... and it would be interesting to hear any input from Coach Sommer.
But as for me @ 58 yrs.. well Ill give it a shot this is really Jack LaLane-esque though so I like it.
I think the 1st week or so Ill JUST do 100 a day.. cant imagine 500 EUGENE
Also right now Im doing all these off a wall board over the door as my bar was in the garage which we just tore down to build a new garage..but I do have the rings as well
Old 06-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #34
Chris Jordan

Profile:
500 pull-ups in a day? Trying to do these casually is a mistake. If you do 10 every 10 minutes it takes nearly 8.5 hours. I suppose if you can just crank them out for 2 or 3 hours you could wrap it up pretty quickly.

I went for 500 today by trying to nibble away at the total. I did pull-ups, gardened for a bit, did more pull-ups, mowed the lawn, did more pull-ups, went to a dinner party, did more pull-ups, put the kids to bed, did more pull-ups and then, finally did more pull-ups. At 400 my shoulders started to give. There was an audible popping sound if I relaxed even a bit in my kip. It was all I could do to stay on the pull-up bar. Though my callouses didn't tear my hands were hurting bad. Julie and I agreed that 400 was enough for the day.

Eugene, Maybe someday I'll approach the 500 mark. Not today. Not today.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #35
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
200 over the course of a day is not a big deal but 500 will be. I'm not there yet either but my hope is that in a month or two we can be closing in on that. This is an endurance event so learning to tolerate that kind of workload is very important...and takes some recovery time. We need to be doing this work now while we have 6 months to train. Toughens the hands too. The taped bars really help.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #36
GEORGE FISH

Profile:

Agreed, got a little carried away on Thursday, tore some nasty callouses! This is a game of patience and endurance. 65 still a long way off.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #37
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
I'm in.

I just printed the calendar. This will be fun (hopefully).

Krista may want to try as well. I'll ask.

(Message edited by Ahmik on June 25, 2006)
Old 07-01-2006, 08:24 PM   #38
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
I'm in too. This sounds fun.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #39
David S Keisler

Profile:
OK.. heres my totals for June... 2111 PUs & 140 MUs.. if I take credit for 4 PUs equaling 1 MU then that COULD be560 addtl PUs for a total of 2671. There were 7 days when I did no PUs @ all... the max day was 190 PUS..
Theres no way I could have 500 PUs a day Eugene... Most of these were done on a Groperz wallboard/fingerboard & some on the rings.
I did find out however that if you tie the rings together it maket doing chinups/ palms facing inward somehat easier as you dont have to swing so much & fight the rings
Old 07-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #40
Travis Loest

Profile:
Eugene, I'm a beginner Crossfitter but i'm willing to give it a go! I'm starting a month late, and able to do about 20-25, but I'll see if i can measure up.