CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #61
Eric Lubert

Profile:
Re: 14.3 tips and strageties. Jump or step?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Larned View Post
Thanks for the input, guys.
I didn't really struggle too much with the weight. My 1rm is probably around 450 now, but I felt like I was moving slow through the whole workout. I ruptured my Achilles doing 11.2 (bounding box jumps), so I've been hesitant to really get at box jumps since then.
I'll probably give it another shot tomorrow with the drop down and only loading plates.
I'm trying it tomorrow and my DL is about the same. I pulled 405x3 a few weeks ago without rounding my back at all.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #62
Larry Larned

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lubert View Post
I'm trying it tomorrow and my DL is about the same. I pulled 405x3 a few weeks ago without rounding my back at all.
Good stuff. Are you repeating or is this your first go at it? My back is still a bit tight, what do you think about giving it another shot if I'm not feeling 100% "normal"?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #63
Eric Lubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Larned View Post
Good stuff. Are you repeating or is this your first go at it? My back is still a bit tight, what do you think about giving it another shot if I'm not feeling 100% "normal"?
My first try at it. Monday is my Dead Lift day anyway so I decided to wait. That's a tough call. I'm very particular with training beyond technical failure and this workout can get very dangerous given how taxing it is on the cns. I'm curious to see what my technique looks like if I get into 315.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:07 AM   #64
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Everyone is a little different on this. I got 127, kinda bummed I didn't get at least one pull on 315#. My 1RM DL is 375#. I've done a 21/15/9 of DL/box jumps at 225#, so I knew I'd get through the third barbell, it was just a matter of the time. But I also knew that 275# x20 was my question mark: how bad would those get toward the end, and would I get through them with enough time to do anything else?

I did step up/down the whole time. 135# unbroken, 185# I did 5/5/5 just for pacing's sake. I started to feel 225# a little, but mostly, I broke just to conserve for the next round, I think I did something like 4/4/4/4/3/1? I finished those box jumps at 4:56. I knew 275# was going to be all singles, I just kept on it, I never moved my feet, I didn't want to take a step back or walk away and have to reset. I got through all 25 at, I think, about as fast a pace as I'm capable of doing that weight that many times.

As I was trying to race out the last box jumps, I was trying to do step up/jump down, but my brain couldn't get that rhythm! After doing step up/step down before that, and only jump up/jump down in any other WOD, I couldn't make myself mix it up. By about rep 6, I finally figured it out, and started banging them out fast. If I could have done that for the whole set, I definitely would have gotten 130, but that alone wouldn't have left me time to change up to 315# and attempt any reps. In retrospect, I wish I had done step up/jump down the whole time. That would have definitely gained me enough time to have a go at the fifth barbell, and I really don't think it would have taxed me so much more that it would have affected my DL. So now, I'm going to sit here most of the day and decide if I want to try again tonight....
Old 03-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #65
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Did it, got 137 as my score. I watched a lot of other videos and I was well on pace right o the 275# bar, that is where this is won or lost. I was too slow doing reps.

FWIW I went UB-UB-10/5/5-5/5/3/3/3/2/1's-then singles at 315#. I wasted way too much time putting weight on at 315# or I could have had 140, but I was really tired by then. If I could have gone 5 sest of 5 I would have had way more time, but that was not in the cards.

I did step up/down the whole way, it makes hardly any difference on you time. I timed it both ways, maybe 2-3 seconds but worth it to stay fresh.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #66
Price Goosby

Profile:

First try so far, 63 reps total. I should have waited another day to heal up before trying this, I know I can do much more than I did since I've pulled around 325 before.

Also as a taller guy (6') does anyone else find it awkward jumping on a 24" box? I have longer legs and tend to overshoot if I'm not using a 36"
Old 03-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #67
Mike Pratt

Profile:

Got a 134 the first time. Tried again this morning , was ahead of pace by about 15 seconds on each of the first 3 rounds and ha to grind through the 275 this time. The last few reps were really hard. I looked up and was already at my split time from finishing the box jumps on my first time, so I tapped out. I feel so stupid for trying this workout twice. Nothing injured, but I know it's going to be an even longer recovery this week.

***just looked at my splits. I was up to 1 minute ahead of my old time at the end of round 3...that's how much I slowed down on 275...
Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #68
Dominic Desrochers

Profile:

Stepping up is quick enough and is recommended if your knees/Achilles tendons dont' like rebounding jumps, this one is all about the deadlift. All I can say is that you better move quick on the deadlifts if you want to make it past the 275/185 round. I was not aggressive enough and time ran out while I was loading the 315 bar. Transitions/weight loading is huge on this one too. I thought about a redo but doing this workout twice in 3 days just would not be smart for me. Good luck to anybody who has not done it yet.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #69
John Holcombe

Profile:

Deadlift max is 400 and those reps at 275 got really tough. Had like 2 minutes to get as many as I could in that round. Started with a set of 4 and then moved to a set of 2 and then singles. Ended up with 102 reps. Harder than I thought... hamstrings were burning pretty bad
Old 03-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #70
Eric Konieczny

Profile:

Whom else Back is till sore/hurting them from this workout?

I wore a belt, got 1 rep into the 315, 131 reps and had decent form ...and I can't even think about working out today.

A lot of foam rolling and heating pad.

Frustrated...this is what I was afraid of, being 36 years old...this stuff isnt getting easier