CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #31
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: 14.3 tips and strageties. Jump or step?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
Are we allowed to use a lifting belt?
I don't see anything on the instructions webpage that forbids using a belt. I think it would be encouraged for safety. Go for it.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #32
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Is it going to be harder for the elite athletes to distance themselves from the pack on this one?
I doubt it. I think that last set of heavy deadlifts will prevent the top athletes from finishing under 8:00. Also, the tie breaker will add separation to the scores.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #33
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Is it going to be harder for the elite athletes to distance themselves from the pack on this one?
I guess only time will tell, but my bet is this workout will do a good job of separating out lots of folks. In particular, I'm betting we'll see some athletes who have done really well in the first two workouts--both workouts with modest weight and body weight movements--get crushed by the high reps with heavier weight. This workout is going to shake up the leaderboards and we'll see the real contenders for Regionals start to emerge.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #34
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:

Quote:
I was thinking that exact same thing - the scores are really going to be bunched together. The time you finished the last round will be very important for those trying to make regionals.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #35
Michael Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
Boom, and there you have it - nice catch, Jayme.
The Tie break is the time of completing the last set of completed box jumps. So it might help to change the plates first on the previous rounds. But if you know you're not going to complete another round of box jumps, it might improve your placing by doing the box jumps, then changing the plates.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #36
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
I guess only time will tell, but my bet is this workout will do a good job of separating out lots of folks. In particular, I'm betting we'll see some athletes who have done really well in the first two workouts--both workouts with modest weight and body weight movements--get crushed by the high reps with heavier weight. This workout is going to shake up the leaderboards and we'll see the real contenders for Regionals start to emerge.
I'm curious to see how hard its going to be. How high of a deadlift max do you need to dominate this workout? I plan to strap a lifting belt on tight and use as much leg as possible to spare my lower back.

Looking through some video submissions i'm already seeing a lot of rounded backs even at 225 and 185
Old 03-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #37
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
But therein lies the dilemma. Which deadlift round is going to be the one to really start to tax you, and make it uncertain you'll get back to the box? For me, it's the 275# DL that worries me. So that means, after my 225# DL third round), I'm going right to the box and, therefore, it's only the first two rounds I may be 'saving' myself something from my suggestion. Seems like a real splitting of hairs then.

EDIT: too late!! But, I was going to say...! :-) Oh, but I did hear a good tip: a friend of mine kept a 5# plate on the ground on each side, to roll the innermost weight up onto, to elevate it just enough to make sliding plates off easier. I think that's a no-brainer; always sucks yanking on a bumper only to have it keep "skipping" on the mat.
Just watch the clock. When you finish your DL's you should have a pretty good idea if there is enough time left to do the box jumps and get in some more DLs
Old 03-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #38
James Weise

Profile:

It almost felt like cheating, but I went all step ups this morning.

If you aren't an effortless rebounder on the box jumps, step ups are a more efficient way to go.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #39
Thomas Cofer

Profile:

I think I'll jump first round then step, use my lever belt, change plates after DL except for my last for tie breaker purposes, use iron if I have it available (I train at home so I'm not sure if the gym I'm going to tonight has them) and hopefully stick to that plan haha!! DL max is 460 hoping to get through the 275's I'll be happy with any thing after that. I set my goal way to high last week and was totally destroyed by 14.2
Old 03-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #40
Mike Pratt

Profile:

For what it's worth, I dont think you need a dramatically high deadlift to get into the higher rounds.

My deadlift max is only 405 and I got a 134 this morning.

I'm planning to redo it monday and shooting for the 140s