CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
James Edward Magill Jr

Profile:  
Greetings everyone. I've been visiting Crossfit for a while and after gutting out a few WOD's(Fight Gone Bad destroyed me), I decided to order CFJ#9 and start the beginner's workout. I am doing the CF warmup first, but am using the Recon Ron pullup program to help get me up to speed since I can only do 3-4 good deadhangs. 31 y/o, 6'1", 225#'s and it's not all muscle if you know what I mean. Finished week one tonight and look forward to the next eleven, then I'll give the WOD another go.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:13 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Gday James, welcome on board mate. Plenty of fun to be had here and you only have to scan the Testimonials board to get an idea what benefits and improvements are possible. If you want to kick start the loss of the "not all muscle" then cleaning up the diet would be a great idea as well.

The Zone is the eating plan of choice round here. The very basic summary is that each meal should comprise 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Works even better when you get rid of the breads, potato's and other starches and try to get all your carbs from fruit and veg.

There is loads of info in the Nutrition board but to get started buy the CrossFit journals relating to nutrition and read Larry Lindenman's excellent post on getting started here:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/12811.html

Of course, CrossFit by it self works really well but when you get your diet cleaned up as well magic really does happen. Another thought that just occurred to me - how about you post your performances, thoughts comments etc while doing the beginner's workout to your own thread. Would be really great for you to be able to see where you have come from in a few short months.

Anyways James, welcome aboard and if you have any more questions just ask.

Cheers, kempie
Old 08-13-2005, 07:33 AM   #3
Michael Keller

Profile:
Welcome James! Just take it easy for a while and don't overdo. CrossFit is designed to humble elite athletes, so go easy at first until you get a feel for where you are fitness-wise. Scale back the reps/weight of the WOD's as much as you need to so that you can complete them, and in no time you will be surprised at how far you've come.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:58 AM   #4
James Edward Magill Jr

Profile:  
Thanks for the welcome guys! I like the idea of tracking my progress here. It keeps me accountable and may help to encourage others who are not in peak condition and debating whether or not to give Crossfit a try. My diet is abysmal but I think that I'm going to ease into changing that over a few weeks. Thanks again for the info and I look forward to seeing where this all leads.
Jamie out.