CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-02-2008, 02:16 AM   #21
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: 2008 Tour De France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
I wasn't aware that athletics had turned into a figure competition! So what if they don't look the best, they have a hell of a lot more drive than you ever will. The ability to ride a bicycle 2000 miles in three weeks under race conditions with stages in some of the most brutal mountain climbs known to mankind is "seriously impressive".
Well, George, I guess your current military status along with you flying some very fast birds, doesn't count for "drive", and is not "seriously impressive"

If I make it out to the base, I'd prefer watching you buzzing(since I can't hop a ride) the sky in the jets, vs watching you ride, but if we did work in a MTB or road ride, with some great chow at the end, it would be a sweet deal.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #22
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Well, George, I guess your current military status along with you flying some very fast birds, doesn't count for "drive", and is not "seriously impressive"
I never discounted athletic prowess based on physique, nor did I use appearance as a measure for making a sport "seriously impressive". As for drive, the desire to compete at an elite level for 21 days straight takes far more drive than most of your general fitness enthusiasts posses.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #23
George Mounce

Profile:

I loved the analogy at the cert I went to:

NASCAR drivers have heart rates through the roof, doesn't make them fit by any means.

Its been argued many times that training functionally (i.e. CrossFit) and having the nutrition to back it will make someone very aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

So yes, with the function comes the aesthetics.

Jay - doubt I'd every be able to take you up in a military plane, but for sure if you are around my way we can go do some crop dusting in some form of Cessna or Piper.

Seriously? So out of the freaking last year and 1 month, I've taken a sum total of 7 days off (not counting rest days) from CrossFit, thats not drive? Thats not determination?

You have soldiers that do MONTHS and YEARS at a time kicking in doors, high on adrenaline, about to be KILLED at any moment, that take the time to also CrossFit and they don't have determination.

Aaron, I give up discussing with you.

Last edited by George Mounce : 04-02-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #24
James Besenyei

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
I never discounted athletic prowess based on physique, nor did I use appearance as a measure for making a sport "seriously impressive". As for drive, the desire to compete at an elite level for 21 days straight takes far more drive than most of your general fitness enthusiasts posses.
Not so sure about far more drive. I think that many fitness enthusiasts have plenty of drive, they just don't want to be/have never had the chance to be professional athletes.

How many professional cyclists would have the drive to reach a pretty high level of fitness while working 9-5 (or more), raising a family, and taking care of all of the other concerns of life. Some, definitely. Most, maybe. But not all. Professional athletes take that 9-5 out of their equation, instead of working (as traditionally defined) they are specializing, they are doing what a general fitness enthusiast cannot do--dedicate the time to being world class at a given sport/event. The fact that some guys/gals reach very high levels of fitness or even specialization part time is just as impressive as the guy/gal who can dedicate most of his/her life to being world class. In some cases it is even more impressive.