CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
Ever had a somewhat unnecessary mid-workout lecture?

I was just halfway through mine (at that specific time, a set of squat cleans) when my almost-closed garage door opened and in walked my neighbour, Eric. Eric is a friendly if rather opinionated soul, and upon discovering what I was doing - I only paused long enough to tell him, then carried on - he proceeded to inform me that 'there is no evidence that fitness will make you live longer', 'you shouldn't eat all that processed crap', 'drinking red wine every day is better for you than this stuff', 'I'll put a flower on your grave when your heart gives out', 'you should save some of your energy for that poor wife of yours', and even 'can't you put a few more weights on that thing?'

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! He carried on for a good ten minutes.
Anyone else have any unwanted sermons to share? I imagine those of you who attend a non-CF gym must get a few of these every workout...
Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Brad Thompson

Profile:
Re: Ever had a somewhat unnecessary mid-workout lecture?

Two words for him...
Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Good one...

Or possibly, "at least I won't die a **ssy."

So many responses that there is a danger of freezing up and just staring at him.

howard
Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Bob Guere

Profile:

Well, I didn't get a sermon, but when I went to the doc for my ticker problems a couple weeks ago, I told him I thought I might be exhausted and over-training. He asked what I do for a workout and my sentence began... "It's called CrossFit, it a functional strength and condi-----" and that's when the overweight, unshaven, frazzled hair quack started to shake his head. "You need to get some rest....you're overtraining." The only thing missing from this guy was a candy bar sticking out of his pocket. I'm supposed to take advice from this guy? The nursing staff, however, were wonderful and they provided me with more info than he about potassium, calcium, etc.

I get to see my reguaar family doc today, and I'll start the sentence again..."It's called CrossFit....." Hopefully he won't shake his head or pull out a sermon.

Sorry for the rant... back to the thread.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Justin Algera

Profile:

Awww the best was when a group of us "black-boxers" (cfnyc peeps) where doing the run 400 meters - 50 squats WOD outside our box a few weeks back in the middle of midtown at about 8:00pm. Apparently, not only are the homeless bums in Manhattan extremely opinionated, they also have a very good working knowledge of strength and fitness because he preceded to tell all of us how those “things we were doing” (the squats) were going to kill our knees and that if we wanted, he would show us proper exercise.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
I was just halfway through mine (at that specific time, a set of squat cleans) when my almost-closed garage door opened and in walked my neighbour, Eric. Eric is a friendly if rather opinionated soul, and upon discovering what I was doing - I only paused long enough to tell him, then carried on - he proceeded to inform me that 'there is no evidence that fitness will make you live longer', 'you shouldn't eat all that processed crap', 'drinking red wine every day is better for you than this stuff', 'I'll put a flower on your grave when your heart gives out', 'you should save some of your energy for that poor wife of yours', and even 'can't you put a few more weights on that thing?'

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! He carried on for a good ten minutes.
Anyone else have any unwanted sermons to share? I imagine those of you who attend a non-CF gym must get a few of these every workout...
You should have said "Hey, help me out for a second, stand in front of me about 1/2 arms length away while I swing this 24kg kettlebell..."

Or you could have lost a heavy snatch out front and it mysteriously flew right at him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
Well, I didn't get a sermon, but when I went to the doc for my ticker problems a couple weeks ago, I told him I thought I might be exhausted and over-training. He asked what I do for a workout and my sentence began... "It's called CrossFit, it a functional strength and condi-----" and that's when the overweight, unshaven, frazzled hair quack started to shake his head. "You need to get some rest....you're overtraining." The only thing missing from this guy was a candy bar sticking out of his pocket. I'm supposed to take advice from this guy? The nursing staff, however, were wonderful and they provided me with more info than he about potassium, calcium, etc.

I get to see my reguaar family doc today, and I'll start the sentence again..."It's called CrossFit....." Hopefully he won't shake his head or pull out a sermon.

Sorry for the rant... back to the thread.
On that note, Bob, if you're doing the 3-on 1-off and aren't super athlete, you may be overtraining. I was once after a few months, and I'm only 27.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
On that note, Bob, if you're doing the 3-on 1-off and aren't super athlete, you may be overtraining. I was once after a few months, and I'm only 27.
Yes, that is what we (me and med staff) are all figuring. I have done running/sports/martial arts before and sometimes going 5-6 days in a row in TKD training.. or 4-5 days of running, etc. and felt the burn out. This time, I didn't feel it. I was sleeping well, and eating well, and always had gas for the WODs. What I learned is that the body will get into a perpetual state of fight or flight and the energy level will be there despite the state of overtraining you're actually in.

There I go hi-jacking the thread again.....
Old 03-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Jeff Yan

Profile:

The fact that your neighbor was willing to stand there and talk while pretty much watching you work out for 10 minutes demonstrates that he has some level of interest. You could probably convince him to join you for a scaled down WOD.

If he accepts, it would be a good way of getting him to shut up for a few minutes too.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I've had quite a few trainers tell me I should lift the weight slow and controlled while I was doing Oly lifts. I asked them if they have ever seen an athlete move "slow and controlled" (Yeah yeah, I know some do, they all move explosively though). They started off of some super slow, HIT, body split rant, so I just returned to my snatches, jumping so I edged ever so much closer to them.

if there was one time I wanted a collar to fail, it was then.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
Tim Donahey

Profile:

He was simply justifying his own level of inactivity to himself. You might as well have not been there.

He is also clearly misinformed about why people practice fitness (not to mention its' health benefits). He assumes the goal is to live longer... Sure many people practice fitness for this express reason (mostly people who have been on the threshold of death) but I look at longevity as more of a side-effect than a distinct goal. You might try explaining that you are trying to improve the quality if your life, not necessarily the quantity. Does your neighbor drink red wine for 'the long life,' or for 'the good life?'

I would say to him, that if belittling your lifestyle makes him feel better about his, then he needs to examine why exactly his lifestyle needs to be justified in the first place. Shouldn't his subscription to TV Guide be justification enough? Okay, maybe not that last part...