CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:23 AM   #21
Dave Re

Profile:
Re: Question for the police officers out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stirling View Post
Dave, you and I are on the same page. The Horn case was amazing to me too because I am a big self defense advocate as well but the 911 call to me sounded like motive, intent and confession all in one.
Yeah, I figured it was bad news for Mr. Horn - especially with the national coverage that it got, just within a couple of days from the event. There's a lesson there to be learned about what you go on record with, and what you don't

In the end, I'm not sure how to feel about it. As a society, we need to have little to no tolerance for crime, and we shouldn't have to stand by and watch some jerk walk off with someone's stuff just because some panty-waist can't stomach the appropriate use of force to deter crime. At the same time, we don't need a bunch of vigilantes who's sole purpose of mind is to go kill people for the slightest infraction, and certainly not those who've decided ahead of time that the only option they have to end the situation is to kill the other guy. I think it was just a bad deal all the way around, unfortunately....

Quote:
Oh well, here in Kansas we just got the conceal carry law not too long ago so I'm more concerned about that but there has been mention of the Castle Doctrine recently. We'll see what happens with it.
Good for Kansas, on both counts - hopefully you get Castle doctrine. Contrary to the hue and cry, there haven't been some crazy rash of inappropriate shootings here in Texas since the enactment of the law - in the end, I think empowering a person to defend their person and their home (rather than requiring them to vacate it under threat) is a good thing. I really feel for the folks who live in a "must retreat" state - that really sickened me when I lived in Georgia (don't know if they every got that changed or not).

Quote:
I just hope someone doesn't break into my house and threaten me...I won't play.
Well, that little shiny thing you carry in your pocket, or on your breast, gives you a little more... leeway... than the average Joe Lets hope we never have to find out how that situation would play out, for either one of us
Old 03-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #22
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Re View Post

I really feel for the folks who live in a "must retreat" state - that really sickened me when I lived in Georgia (don't know if they every got that changed or not).
The "duty to retreat" really goes against my grain. If someone breaks into my house, I should have the right to defend my home and myself. How often will the scenario of a man breaking into a woman's house end up in the woman's favor? I'd rather take the offensive and end the situation early.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #23
Richard Mist

Profile:

Sorry, not an officer of the law, but a citizen of good ol' Kalifornia. I have two stories:

Was at a bud's house a long time ago.. we heard screaming in the night, then amublance + police sirens... found out later that someone was breaking into a car. The owner went out to confront. The thief had a buddy hiding as a backup.. the owner got stabbed several times and died later. The owner had a reputation of being a real bruiser, bar-fight type of guy...

I was in a park at night with a girl carrying a concealed knife.. two guys, one with a gun, decided they were going to rape the girl i was with, and who knows do what with me (i assumed kill me, as this was a common gang initiation thing). well, my girl and i came out unscathed.. they both got stabbed.. cops were never called.. i had no intention of making a "citizen's arrest"...

Moral of these stories? Either stay out of the mix, or if you get yourself involved, don't make an "arrest". do your justice and get outta there... don't bring the law into it.

just some advice from a street punk.. take it for what it's worth...

Old 03-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #24
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Is it worth your life?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #25
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I'm not a police officer BTW.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #26
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mist View Post
I was in a park at night with a girl carrying a concealed knife.. two guys, one with a gun, decided they were going to rape the girl i was with, and who knows do what with me (i assumed kill me, as this was a common gang initiation thing). well, my girl and i came out unscathed.. they both got stabbed.. cops were never called.. i had no intention of making a "citizen's arrest"...

Moral of these stories?
Moral: don't report your crimes on public internet forums until the statute of limitations has expired.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #27
Helmut Block

Profile:

What is scary is if I am attacked any time I am away from home. These laws that penalize you for protecting yourself are barbaric!

Notice to thugs: if your victim has Texas plates ....don't. If he talks funny (kinda like the president but better)...don't.

Rule of life: don't look for trouble and try to avoid if at all possible.
Rule of continues life: if attacked do everything at all possible to win the fight...do not try to be "galant" cause the crooks have a severe advantage over us...they don't care about any human life, we do (even if we want to be macho and say we want to crack some skull...none of us non-criminal types really do)...so in a real fight the guy who won't hesitate is more likely to win, regardless of training or comparative strength.
Rule of the three fights: for any fight you are ever in you have to win it three times: fight one-against the guy that attacked you. Fight two-when the cops show up (by fight in this case I mean you have to convince them that you are one of the good guys), fight three-the lawsuit filed against you by the guy who was going to shot you but he is suing you for breaking his gun arm. Loss of livelihood and all that
Old 04-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #28
Richard Mist

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Moral: don't report your crimes on public internet forums until the statute of limitations has expired.
New moral: don't give legal advice when ignorant about law. SOL doesn't apply to criminal action described in the incident.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:47 AM   #29
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Then I guess this must be the first incident in the history of the world with only one side to the story.