CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Carl Henrik Laurell

Profile:
I've just done a few wod:s and tested the OHS a bit. For me the key to finding the way down is having a rather broad leg stance. The grip width, however, does with my technique (or lack thereof?) not feel like it has impact on any flexibility requirements. Once I got flexible enough to do a OHS with one grip width, all grip widths were ok. Maybe this says something good or bad. It got me thinking about what impact the grip width could have though.

In an olympic lifting snatch, I suppose the grip need be very wide to minimize vertical distance travelled by the weight, thereby allowing large weights. The OHS as a component for this purpose should of course be trained width the same grip width.

In everyday life though, such an extreme grip width is seldom available. Also you more often want to maximize the vertical distance reachable in order to load something heavy on to a higher location.

Having observed myself and others in such situations, the vertical control of the object to be placed is always done with arm and shoulder strength. Maybe the load is not too challenging muscularly, initially. When something problematic occurs, however, you may need to stay fixated or exercise control of the object over head for a longer duration. Doing this with arm power should lead to a much quicker fatigue than having straight arms and bent legs.

For this purpose, being comfortable with a narrow grip OHS seems superior to both shoulderpresses or just having done the typical wide grip OHS.

Another thought. Since the narrow grip puts the weight higher, for a certain load at the hip, the stabilization load at various locations along the spine will be higher relative to the wide grip OHS, the higher up the torso you observe. If you want to train on being able to handle more strain at higher locations along the spine the narrow grip could be more useful. Or let's say you want to train with similar stabilizing loads high on the back as with a narrow grip OHS but your hip and leg muscles are already toast. Reducing weight but placing the bar higher width a narrow grip could be a solution.

I thing I understood from another thread that the stabilizing muscles of the spine could not contract harder at one height than another? Still I believe the body can adapt in some ways to handle varying stress at varying locations, even if one way is found in which it can't.

Any comments, thoughts, insights regarding a narrow grip OHS?

(Message edited by stoguy on July 22, 2007)
Old 07-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Dude, you have some serious free time on your hands.
I've read some "heavy posts" on these boards, and this one rates right up there.
Good stuff, just need to try and figure it out as I'm some what a simple guy. Show up, do the WOD, don't ask alot of questions, repeat, day in, day out.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
carl, try the different grips and report back. it's really the only way to know whether any of that stuff is true.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Carl Henrik Laurell

Profile:
Jay,
Yeah, I do have too much free time

Andrew,
Of course I have already tried the different grips. Someone else could have done this earlier, or be interested in trying, so that's why I posted. My testing isn't better than anyone elses (for general applicability). And even if it would be, it's bad, if it's only tested on one person. I'll keep reporting though if you're interested.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
I think you are on the right track. I am remembering a Performance Menu or CFJ article about shoulders. One demonstration of truly "fit" shoulders was a full squat with hands locked overhead a la Sampson stretch. That takes some ability which I want to work up to.}
Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Carl Henrik Laurell

Profile:
I did some rough testing today using a 95lbs bar. I held it statically for time with a narrow grip over head around a certain height, either with bent arms or bent legs. I avoided going to failure for safety reasons but went close using both methods. The height of the bar had my bent arms version put my upper arms at around 20 degrees upward angle from horizontal.

Results:
Bent arms: 40 seconds
Bent legs(narrow grip OHS position): 52 seconds

The diffence 12s, or 30%, is not very big, but I'll try it again and see how things develop for me. Maybe I can get some help to make it a better test.

The bent arms version degenerated through a gradual descent of the weight, which I had to push up a few times to initial height, until I could not push it up high enough.

The bent arms version didn't have a "graceful degradation". The bar was rather fix vertically but I lowered the weight when a feeling of uncertainty in my ability to control the weight at all the next second had established itself.

Now if anyone is up for challenging my times...that would make for more data on whether the narrow grip OHS can be useful for developing a safer lifting practice.