CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Frank Pipitone

Profile:
Minimal Equipment for Home Gym

I am not looking for a full blown garage gym just yet. I plan on staying at my box but it is more a matter of that I can't get there more than 2 - 3 days per week because of my schedule. I would love to have some equipment at home to do some strength work or certain WODs at home.

I am thinking of just getting a bar, bumpers, pullup bar, box and kettle bell. I just don't have room for asquat stand or rower.

Anyone doing this with a limited setup at home for days they can't make it to the box?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Minimal Equipment for Home Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pipitone View Post
I am thinking of just getting a bar, bumpers, pullup bar, box and kettle bell. I just don't have room for asquat stand or rower.

Anyone doing this with a limited setup at home for days they can't make it to the box?
I have a lot more than that in my home gym, but there are PLENTY of times that I have limited my workouts to basically what you have listed there. That's a perfectly serviceable setup.

Consider making some stuff as well. Sandbag, Bulgarian Training Bag, parallettes, PVC rings, etc....

Do Google searches along the lines of "homemade Crossfit gear," "homemade fitness equipment," etc....

- Mark
Old 07-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Mike Cho

Profile:

Quote:
I am not looking for a full blown garage gym just yet. I plan on staying at my box but it is more a matter of that I can't get there more than 2 - 3 days per week because of my schedule. I would love to have some equipment at home to do some strength work or certain WODs at home.

Frank,

I'm in the same boat as you...with young kids, I can't go to a local box on a regular basis. I am also going to do the garage gym thing. I just laid down my horse stall mats and ordered the basics from rogue. I ended up getting bar (ohio bar), hg bumpers, sml-2 squat stand with spotters, kettle bell, wall ball, plyo box, abmat and rings. I would like a rower but that'll be later. I think I can do most workouts with what I purchased.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Adrian Garcia

Profile:

You guys have a lot! I mean I wouldn't consider what you have small at all. All I have right now is my wall mounted pull up rig. I'm thinking of adding a pair of 25lbs dumbells and getting after it. It's not really about the equipment it's maximizing your effort and getting creative with your workouts.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

If you've got a solid tree or other tall support-ish structure, you can sub rings for the pullup bar and get a place to do pullups, ring dips, ring rows, L-sits and all sorts of gymnastics stuff. Just an idea.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Jason A Smith

Profile:

FWIW, I started out about 4 years ago with a pull up bar, PVC rings, a pair of adjustable DB's and a jump rope. Added a cheap used bar and that was it for about 6 months. I now have a full blown set up but pretty much train at home 95% of the time. I have invested what most people have paid in membership fees, with one very large difference. I actually could get some of my money back.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Steve Jaeger

Profile:

Quote:

Frank,

That is a great setup for home.

You can do a ton with the Kettlebell. I might suggest two KBs versus one. The KB can be lifted to three different positions - hip, shoulder and overhead. If you go with one size, opt for the weight that is challenging to bring to your shoulder 10X times. For me, a 24kg is perfect. It's not a challenge to bring to my hip, ie DL, but it works great for cleans and swings. TGUs or thrusters get a little dicey in higher reps at that weight so I've got a 16kg too.

The only other suggestion I might make is to swap out the plyo box for a set of rings and a great jump rope but it's a close call. Rings are really versatile and would be a great supplement for strength training.

All in all, I'd say you are on the right track. I don't think you need anything else to supplement the 2-3 days at the local affiliate.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Thanks for all the support and suggestions. I forgot about rings, but I think I may opt for the rings instead of the box. I do have plenty of trees around so that may be an option and might even be an option for pullups.

I sort of love box jumps though so that would be sad and I do have an RPM rope, so that is taken care of.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Frank, a box is easy and cheap to do. I built a three sided style box for about $50. Yours could be much cheaper as lumber here in Canada is much more expensive.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Steve Jaeger

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for all the support and suggestions. I forgot about rings, but I think I may opt for the rings instead of the box. I do have plenty of trees around so that may be an option and might even be an option for pullups.

I sort of love box jumps though so that would be sad and I do have an RPM rope, so that is taken care of.
Maybe get a tire to jump on or stack up some bumpers. Finding or making a platform to jump on can be done with some ingenuity. Sure, it's convenient having a professionally made box but when it comes down to get the biggest bang for the buck, a jumping platform can be hand crafted. Dollars might be better spent on the gear that is a bit more 'complicated.'

Rings would be a good choice. And we're fond of wood over plastic. http://hammerheadfitness.com/gymnast...gs-and-straps/ [wfs] And yep, throwing the straps over a sturdy tree limb [or the swingset in the local park] makes for a great muscle up station, too.