CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
Jamila Bey

Profile:
One month ago, I really started adhering to a CF every other day and O-Lifting routine.

I'm down an inch on each thigh. Down an inch around my middle. Down a cup size (DAMMIT!). I'm UP 12 pounds?

One month can't be 12 pounds of muscle! And no I'm not retaining any water or suffering female-oriented issues.

I admit that I keep falling off the Zone wagon... I think IF is something I could do better. Until then...

But any suggestions? Is my body just freakish?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
Let's ignore the numbers. Let's look at this from a different perspective, these are the same one's I ask all the women I coach or train.

How do you feel?
How do you look in a photo?
How do your clothes fit?
Do you have more energy?
Has you spouse/partner noticed any changes?

I try to avoid the numbers as too many women get fixated on them. Deal with a couple of Vball women who have number fixation disorder.

There is one angle to this you should consider. That is where your family comes from. For example my fiance who is black comes from the Caribbean nation of Antigua. She used to be a sprinter plus made the national team for volleyball. When I look at pictures of her from her national team days her legs and such where fairly muscular.

If you want my advice, be proud of what you have done, who you are, and how you look. Be yourself and show off what you have done to improve.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Jamila Bey

Profile:
Go black women!

Here's the deal, I'm not putting the actual number on the 'net. BUT I once weighed this number before and I was tight wearing a size 20 pant. Same number now less 3 pounds, but size 14 or tight in a 12.

I am 5'9, and in college at 165#, I looked emaciated. So I understand that I'm always going to be larger than most people male or female. I'm concerned about getting the number down because I'm terrified of diabetes (especially gestational).

I am looking forward to showing off soon...

Old 04-06-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
I'll leave the stuff about Diabetes to the medical types. Though I can confirm that if you are pregnant you can develop Diabetes for a period of time. Once the child is born the body returns to normal.

Jamila, don't worry to much about it all. Your body will reach it's happy point it is comfortable at. It's the same for anyone who does Crossfit or any type of elite athletic training.

Is your body freakish? Define freakish. I'm a guy who enjoys ultra endurance sport, 50k trail runs, 60+km MTB rides, and half iron Du's. Have been looked upon as a freak and insane for this. Most who post here are viewed by the rest of the "fitness" world as a bunch of freaks. Take pride in being a "freak".

Besides, how many women out there could probably carry their man to the bedroom? :lol:

(Message edited by enduramil on April 06, 2006)
Old 04-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
Another way to look at it is to just ignore the numbers, body comp, etc. for now and focus on making and keeping small commitments to the Crossfit way of life (obviously this includes diet). It sounds like you've made a big step in the last month. Sticking with it for a month is great, and now your task is to stick with it even longer. And as your current workout schedule becomes second nature, you can add something else, say incremental improvements in diet. Think of your progress in terms of what you've made permanent in your life, not how you look or even how much you're lifting. Eventually body composition and athletic performance will follow. The information on this site is extremely powerful. Maybe not in a week or a month, but in the long term, Crossfit will not fail.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:01 AM   #6
John Velandra

Profile:
Another question to ask... why do you keep falling off the nutrition band wagon? That will be a key point for a lot of the concerns you have.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:36 AM   #7
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Jamila, stress less girl your body is a work in progress.
Your are down inches, that means the muscle is becoming more dense and you are sheding fat. That is a good thing.

Im in a similar boat , five weeks ago i started strict zoning and three on one off CF with O-lifting 2-3 times perweek.After three week strict zone i switched to strict on weekdays and semi-zone on weekends. I Didn't get my measurement taken till the end of the first week, but did weight at the start, got measured again yesterday. After 5 weeks my weight went from 72.6kg -70.5, but had dropped as low as 68.5. Good but nothing to rave about however in 4 weeks my skin folds and inches have have all droped, my body fat reduced by about 4kg and my LBM increased by 2kg/4.4lbs.

If you are new to exercise and good nutrition it takes a while for you body to settle. 12lbs is a lot but it is possible, however it may also be a false reading other than retaining water and cycle times, a big pre-weigh in meal even the night before, extra fluid consuption, timings and bowel movements can play apart, that why weighing at the same day/time each week or better month if you are going to weigh at all.If you weighed in intially after a wo can also effect a "false" difference. I am only concerned about my weight now at the moment becasue i have a comp coming up and i have to be under 70kg at weight in. But i know i feel and look and perform better and you proably do to.

Scales should be used to weigh your food, not your body.

Let performance and how you feel be your guide, On diet its ok to fall of the wagon every now and again,a cheat meal here and there keeps you sain and makes it easier to stick to long term, just don't fall off it and tumble down the side of the cliff into the land of donuts and icecream binges.

Stick with it nothing worth doing comes easy, but thats what make it worth doing.

On the side of gestatinal diebets, is there a family history, have you been told you are at risk, how long before you are planning to get pregnant?

Type I is usually genetic, type II is basically lifestyle, gestational is a combo, but the risk can be redued, and crossfit will help on that level.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:19 AM   #8
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
The scale, probably the worst and most dangerous piece of equipment in a gym.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #9
Jamila Bey

Profile:
tee hee!

I can carry hubby to the bedroom, and body slam him onto the bed! We needed his carpentry skills to repair the bedframe... That was before I was steady with CrossFit though. ANYWAY

I'm turning 30 in November and I want to look great, feel great, and be healthy enough to seriously consider trying to start a family then. I've had two girlfriends go through massive pregnancy complications because of their weight- one had a baby that didn't survive.

So, even though I've got a low resting heart rate, and my bloodwork is perfect and my doctor says I "have the bone density of a 20 year old man," I'm hoping to improve.

I've also noticed in the past month, my knees are starting to protest up long flights of stairs and I now wear a neoprene brace for O-lifting. Only in the last month. So my body isn't happy with the heavier me, so I guess that's incentive that I need to Zone better.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #10
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
The human knee, the worst designed joint. Who ever designed it was definetly on something.

Knee's hurt? Have you had to have knee surgery?

my fiance has had surgery on both knees after tearing the ACL while on the national team program. So now her knees pretty much hurt all the time. Same as me, though I have never had surgery. My knees are caused by the wear and tear of having been a alpine ski racer.

For me I notice that when my fish oils and flax intake is low they hurt. With my fiance it's more it decreases the level of hurting.

Plus you may need to take a few days off. To let your body recover from the intensity.