CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
Rich Knipping

Profile:
Programming Question

Don't know if this is the right forum for this but I'll start here.

I follow the main site WOD's as closely as I can with pretty good results. I'm always looking to add various exercises to increase overall fitness. A few friends and I are looking at getting a tire to work with. Have also thought about sandbag work, farmer walks, etc.

how and when should these be added into following the WOD's? Should they be substitued for WOD's or done before or after? I see a lot of affiliates using them (I'm not with an affiliate in Maine) but don't know how and when they use them.

Thank you for the help.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Ron Hendrix

Profile:
Re: Programming Question

Try working them in after you do a WOD. Just make sure whatever movement pattern you use for the extra work with the equipment doesn't coincide with the next day's WOD. For example, you don't want to work on tire flips, then turn around and do singles or triples DL's.

I'd look into following an affiliate that does strength work along with a WOD. CF Evolution is the first place that comes to mind (little plug for ya there Leo).
Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Ted Apollo

Profile:

have you checked out CF strength Bias (CFSB)? or Crossfit football? both good programs that add in extra strength work. you can probably modify those programs a bit to get your sandbag work in.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Chris Robinson

Profile:

I asked Kelly Starrett about programming different training implements (i.e. sleds, tires, sand bags, etc.) and this was part of his reply:
"My advice is to start simple. Pick a classic program piece and mix it in with an implement.

Row, tireflip, clean.
Deadl lift and drag.
push jerk and sled pull
Sand bag clean, run
You get the idea.

Tabata sled drags for distance are really not fun. Breaking out of the 'formal movement' paradigm is fun."
Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Rafe Kelley

Profile:

I would start by getting comfortable with them you want to feel confident in having a good moving pattern before your really put it under duress trying tire flips for the first time in hard wod with out any prior training and messing up your back or biceps is not unlikely. Working on skill outside of your WOD is something everybody should be doing. The original definition of crossfit talks about developing presses to handstand and flips how often are those seen in the wods that why you need to add skill work in.

Once you have good mastery of the movements substitute them into your wods. This is part of that variance element of the equation that I think gets left out by allot of people.

Next time you see elizabeth do tireflips instead of deadlifts.
Next time you see grace do it with sandbag
Theres tons of ways to incorporate these elements into our regular routine

I recently did a work out based on Helen were I substituted a 100 meter parkour route for the 400 meter run, and 3 foot wall to rail dynos for the pull ups. Totally killer and way fun.

Last edited by Rafe Kelley : 07-15-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: grammar