CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Andrew Gardiner

Profile:
Programming Question

One of the recent WODs had 120 pull ups and 120 dips as a sub for 30 muscle ups. When attempting the 120-120 substitution is it better to look at it like a strength building exercise and take as long as required to hammer out all of the sets with proper form or....scale down to say jumping pullups and bar dips to watch the clock and ratchet intensity up?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
Jordan Wright

Profile:
Re: Programming Question

Hey Andrew. Noticed this was your first post. I am only a few months in my self to CF.

If you aren't able to do the Rx'd (prescribed) don't worry about it.

As for the alternative 120 pull ups and 120 dips (on bar I assumed) If you can't do either the pull ups scale it back to jump pulls or assisted band pull ups. The dips you can sub for 120 jumping dips of if you have counter balance weight machine take some of your own body weight off and try your reps.

I like to break things down into blocks of what I know I can managed.

I can manage about 20 kipping pull-ups in a row and can do the same for dips.

So i would have broken it down into 6 sets 20 pull-ups 20 dips for time.

If you are new to CF scale it back and work your way up to being able to perform Rx'd WOD's. I started CF with about 3 years of body building and other sport conditioning and it honestly totaled me the first time I really tired a WOD. I still struggled with some of them. DT was evil but loved it all the same.

I you haven't trained for a while. Example 2 years. Really really scale back and take it easy in the WOD's. Be careful initially not to overdue it as you can risk Rabho if you do. Even well trained CFers who have left for an extended period and come back and go crazy run a risk of injury.

Always, always listen to your body. Be safe and best of luck.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gardiner View Post
One of the recent WODs had 120 pull ups and 120 dips as a sub for 30 muscle ups. When attempting the 120-120 substitution is it better to look at it like a strength building exercise and take as long as required to hammer out all of the sets with proper form or....scale down to say jumping pullups and bar dips to watch the clock and ratchet intensity up?
Andrew-
Any WOD that is "for time" means exactly that - do it as quickly as you possibly can.
It is understood that form will degrade with fatigue.
As Jordan stated above, if you need to scale further (jumping, band assist, etc.), that is fine too - but keep track of your time and precisely the methods of scaling you used so that you can compare it with the next time the WOD comes up.
Best of luck.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

If you can do pullups and dips, I would not sub in jumping pullups to get more of a metcon effect. If you fatigue during the WOD such that you no longer can do even singles without more than 5 or 10 seconds rest, then I would add in a band (jumping pullups being less preferable). That's how I approached WODs with large numbers of pullups before I could do very many. My max number of pullups now is between 15-20 depending on the day and I never scale pullups anymore.

This theory on scaling is a little different that how I would scale a weighted exercise in a metcon - such the deadlift, HPC and push jerk in DT yesterday. For those type exercises, I (try to) pick a level of scaling that I can stick with for the entire WOD.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Andrew Gardiner

Profile:

Thanks for the responses guys.

I've been at it since Christmas and I'm making pretty good progress. The toughest thing is figuring out what intensity really means. I almost lost my lunch a few times at the big box gym that I workout at but I'm not sure I should be staying that close to the bleeding edge.

I'm doing a level one cert at the beginning of May so that should shed some light and the garage gym is already in the works. I'm comfortable with the static low rep strength efforts ala SS but getting just obliterated by the heavy metcons that keep coming up. I end up having to scale back weight quiet a bit just to keep the workout moving.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I'm not a big fan of the sub of 4 pullups and dips for MU. I think weighted pull ups and dips or a MU progression would be better.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

I used to do weighted dips and pull ups before I got my rings.
but i'm not sure, maybe if you can't do a muscle up (even beginner progression) than you might not be able to do weighted stuff, too?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:

i usually tell people that have dips and have pullups to do 60 ring pullups and 60 ring dips
BUT... you have to do one pullup and then one dip. You can't bust out 20 pullups and 20 dips. That's the best feeling when you can't quite get the transfer.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

The inablity to do a MU is usually caused by insufficient strength or technique, rarely insufficient endurance.