CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
Karen Ruggiero

Profile:
Brand New

I want to start some exercises...day one...today!
Where do I start? I have a fitness training backround - originally was a gymnast so I know alot of the exercises. My almost 50 yr old body is a bit out of shape but I want to try Crossfit and bring back my old hunger for fitness.
I've looked at the website...see different workouts but not sure what DAY ONE should be and where to find that.

Where can I look to begin? I just want the very beginner program WOD.

any help out there?
Karen Ruggiero
Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Tim Crawford

Profile:
Re: Brand New

Wow, so many places to start. I would first try to find an affiliate near you, only for them to monitor you and ensure you have the forms down before jumping into the daily WODs. I wouldn't really worry about trying to "score" yourself, but try to finish the WOD WITH GOOD FORM. Check out the affiliate Brand-X on the CFHQ main page, they are great at scaling the work-outs at different levels. I'm getting back into the swing of things, and I love their website to help me - I don't have to try and come up with something on my own. The other thing I would suggest is staying away from the weights, just use your body weight and get into the swing of things with push-ups, dips, pull-ups, squats, lunges, inverted body rows and those kind of things. Not sure if I helped you or confused you, but either way....
Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

See left hand side of main home page, click "start here." Welcome.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Karen Ruggiero

Profile:

thanks so much - will try to follow your helpful info
K
Old 01-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Tina Dobson

Profile:

check out the Brand X scaled workouts. Each WOD (workout of the day) is typically scaled. Start with the lowest scale (usually buttercups, occasionally pups). If you want to start but haven't yet gotten to an affiliate for some training, there are quite a few WODs you can do that involve moves you already know how to do (i.e. squats, situps, pushups, pullups, etc.) Just go through each of the days and find a few that involve exercises you already know how to do. If you haven't been doing any kind of weight training, you probably want to start with the "starting strength" or SS you hear so much about in the posts. You should also spend a good amount of time going through these forums. You'll get a much better idea of diet, movements, problems, etc. If you have been weight training (not light weights on a machine, but true old school lifting) you MAY be able to not do SS. After a workout or two, you'll know if you need to do it or not. It's not a bad thing because a lot of really quality athletes on this site have stopped CFing for a time in order to do SS before coming back to CFT. A lot of people just end up finding they were not nearly as strong as they thought they were. Also check out some of the threads to see if someone in your area is CFing. You may be able to team up on some workouts.