CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Amber Karnes

Profile:
Brand new at this

Hey there. I posted over on the BrandX forums, but I wanted to introduce myself here too.

I'm 26, from Norfolk, VA. Have lost 70 pounds, have 60-70 more to go. I have a really hard time losing weight unless Iím working out very intensely so Iím always looking for new things to mix it up. I just recently got into free weights (had been doing mostly body weight work like lunges, squats, etc on top of my cardio). Right now I lift 3x per week with a friend of mine. I found crossfit and am really interested in pursuing it.

I went to the first of three fundamentals classes at Crossfit Virginia Beach on Monday. The class wasnít a taxing workout, but we learned lots. They went over the basics of their warmup and form for squats, deadlifts and push presses.

* Tried kipping pullups for the first time. Even with the strongest rubber band, I didnít get above the bar, but Iíll get there.
* Tried ring dips - canít support myself on the rings yet. Iíll get there.
* Tried situps and back extensions on the GHD thing which I liked (I'm sure I'll get over that quickly). Rowing is fun.
* Apparently I have flexible hips cause my squat form is awesome, I had no problem getting to full depth (I was also surprised this didnít bother my knee).
* For the first time in my life my proportions (short with short *** legs) are a good thing, according to the trainer I have great proportions for deadlifting.

I felt very out of my element but everyone at the gym was really friendly and helpful. I wish the gym was closer to my house so I could join, itís about a 30 minute drive though.

This session was money VERY well spent. I loved learning the correct form from someone who knows whatís up and I canít wait to go back for the other sessions. The second class is tomorrow. Thereís an open house on Saturday, I will be there with bells on, ready to get the crap beat out of me. Wish me luck!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Amber Mathwig

Profile:
Re: Brand new at this

I've heard that about deadlifters before also, they have an advantage being short - so get to kicking some *** on those deadlifts! Be sure to drop into the Girl Power thread http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...23010&page=195 (Is is WFS? I haven't read all 195 pages? Let's go with mostly WFS)
Old 01-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Michael Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Karnes View Post
* For the first time in my life my proportions (short with short *** legs) are a good thing, according to the trainer I have great proportions for deadlifting.
Really? I always thought as the DL as a tall person friendly lift due to the leverage usage?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Alycia McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Karnes View Post
This session was money VERY well spent. I loved learning the correct form from someone who knows whatís up and I canít wait to go back for the other sessions. The second class is tomorrow. Thereís an open house on Saturday, I will be there with bells on, ready to get the crap beat out of me. Wish me luck!

Isn't is crazy how it only takes 1 session to keep you coming back for more?
Hurts so good, i guess.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Good to have another woman!! Sounds like you've had some great success already.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Welcome. Noticed this quote "I have a really hard time losing weight unless I’m working out very intensely." Take a good look at the nutrition section here and diet suggestions, also see robb wolf's blog. I think you will find that it's the diet more then the exercise that is the issue. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
Amber Karnes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Welcome. Noticed this quote "I have a really hard time losing weight unless Iím working out very intensely." Take a good look at the nutrition section here and diet suggestions, also see robb wolf's blog. I think you will find that it's the diet more then the exercise that is the issue. Good luck.
Thanks. I have been paying a lot more attention to diet, especially lately. I already had cut out white flour, but now I am cutting out the grains/starches altogether and ALL sugar. Trying Zone and seeing how that goes. I'm vegetarian so that diet works out perfectly for me.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Great idea, good luck.