CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Darryl Chow

Profile:
Pull Up Improvements

I'm sure something like this has been covered before but I couldn't fine the thread.

I'm looking to improve my pull up repetitions. Pull ups show up quite frequently in WODs and when they do there's usually a lot of reps involved. I've tried incorporating the crossfit warm up to improve my reps on pull ups... So far I've noticed that my reps on pull ups haven't really changed much over the past year.

I can kip on pull ups but i can't do a repititious kip up because well I use my schools gym facility and the only place to kip/pull ups is on the cable machine which unfortunately isn't bolted down. One time I tried to kip one after another and I could feel the machine just tip a little, so now I have to kip, come down, stop, and kip again.

Any suggestions as to the reason of why there's no improvements? How I can improve.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Pull Up Improvements

grease the groove (hint hint wink)

As for stalling it depends. If you're at like 30+ well it's gonna be hard to improve. If you're stuck at like 5 then it's probably cause you're overworking them and haven't taken a break in like a couple months to let your body recuperate from the accumulated fatigue.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
Benjamin Walsh

Profile:

I also have no place to kip, except the park, where there is often someone else I need to share with. This is obvioulsy no good for metcon WODs.

I was frustrated with my pull up improvement. I took a week off from pull ups because of shoulder issues. After the rest I went from 8 to 11 dead hangs. I had been doing at least 30 pull ups a day, often more. It seems obvious now that it was too much. Now I won't do more than two easy sets (60-80% of max) on odd days.

Good luck!
Old 06-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
S.S.

Profile:

Darryl, one thing I did recently that really helped me was a whole bunch of Death by Pullups WODs. I did them about the entire month of April and my numbers shot up real well. In the mornings about 3-4 times a week I would do a pullup-related WOD. Death by Pullups is a great one because not only does it build your pullup endurance but you can see definitively how you are improving.

In case you're not familiar with it, it goes like this: Start a clock. do 1 pullup the first minute, 2 pullups the second minute, etc. until you can't fit them in the same minute.

I was also doing deadhang-to-kipping ladders (start 1 deadhang, 2 deadhangs, 3 deadhangs, until you can't continue the ladder, then start kipping), weighted pullups, burpee-pullups, weighted burpee-pullups (these really hurt) and a few others. Then in the evening I would do my regularly scheduled WOD.

GTG will work too but if you can't be on a bar every 30 minutes give this a try.