CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Mark Knisely

Profile:
MMA Training

I searched through the forums to find some stuff on this but nothing that really helped came up. I want to become more explosive and "powerful" if you will so would it better do more WOD's that incorporate power excercises like deadlifts, cleans, etc then bodyweight WOD's like Cindy? Also can you gain power and strength from doing bodyweight workouts like Cindy?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Celio Silva

Profile:
Re: MMA Training

Yes, BW WODS like Cindy will develop power. Deadlift is for strength, but an integral part of Oly lifts, which is what you wanna do a ton of it.

WallBalls and hitting a tire with a heavy sledge hammer are also great for power (particularly for MMA) AND metabolic conditioning...

...and of course, don't forget to row hard....

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Robert Woller

Profile:

Totally agree, lots of rowing and oly lifts....and train that core man. According to GSP the reason he is able to stay so explosive in later rounds is because of his dedication to core training.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 AM   #4
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

It's called a "power clean" or "power snatch" for a reason, Oly lifts all the way
Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Dave Lemanczyk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Knisely View Post
I searched through the forums to find some stuff on this but nothing that really helped came up. I want to become more explosive and "powerful" if you will so would it better do more WOD's that incorporate power excercises like deadlifts, cleans, etc then bodyweight WOD's like Cindy? Also can you gain power and strength from doing bodyweight workouts like Cindy?
I train many different athletes that compete in various sports. The dynamic movement training I put them through carries over greatly to anything athletic. For example; one of my good friends and college teammate now manages a dojo and teaches martial arts in Connecticut. He uses many of the things I have developed over the last ten years in addition to his skills teaching.

KEG CONDITIONING is where you should be. Check it out dude and shout me out with any questions. I work with the military, fighters, college, and pro athletes. Like I said, the athletes activities vary but they all vie for the same things; power, explosiveness, endurance, and toughness.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Kevin Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lemanczyk View Post
I train many different athletes that compete in various sports. The dynamic movement training I put them through carries over greatly to anything athletic. For example; one of my good friends and college teammate now manages a dojo and teaches martial arts in Connecticut. He uses many of the things I have developed over the last ten years in addition to his skills teaching.

KEG CONDITIONING is where you should be. Check it out dude and shout me out with any questions. I work with the military, fighters, college, and pro athletes. Like I said, the athletes activities vary but they all vie for the same things; power, explosiveness, endurance, and toughness.
Ive been reading Dave's posts and chatting with him for 5 yrs or so. The dude knows his stuff. Check out his website. Other then that, look into sandbags, sledge hammers, rings, hillsprints etc.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Kevin Domholdt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lemanczyk View Post

This looks awesome now I can drink a keg and its in the name of fitness. But seriously I'm getting drunk.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
John S Park

Profile:

Anyone catch the Crossfit plug in UFC 98 by Rogan? He said Hughes has been doing a lot of training such as crossfit
Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
Patrick Griffin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S Park View Post
Anyone catch the Crossfit plug in UFC 98 by Rogan? He said Hughes has been doing a lot of training such as crossfit
I noticed that too! I'd heard Greg Glassman claim that CrossFit was ubiquitous in MMA training but hadn't heard much talk of it from anyone but him. It's still a novelty to hear CrossFit mentioned in such a prominent place. It was practically the first thing that Rogan said during Hughes' walkout to explain his conditioning... then again, it's been most notably associated with BJ Penn and we know the story with his gas tank :P