CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #11
Alex Europa

Profile:
Re: First Step To becoming a SEAL

Solid advice so far. 8:07 is a damn good time for a 1.5 mile run, but make sure it was an honest 1.5 miles (many Navy PRT courses are not accurate). Get out a GPS and re-run the course. If you ran on a track or the distance checks out (not in a car), then your running ability is more than solid. At the minimum, it's not a weakness so I would find out what your weakness is (swimming, calisthenics, etc...) and get some help in that area from others that have BTDT (there are plenty in Norfolk).

If you haven't done so, go out and do the PST (Physical Screening Test) by yourself. Be VERY strict on ROM and technique on the push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. In other words, pretend that you're at the actual PST that you'll be taking for your BUD/S screening package and the meanest SOB you've ever met will be grading you. This will ensure that you'll have no surprises on game day if you've been cheating your ROM the whole time.

Also, you might want to check the the 6 "Pre-SOF Training" articles in the CrossFit Journal. Some good information there as well.

Good luck! Let us know how everything goes!

EDIT: As for boots, buy the Bates 922s or 924s. That is what you'll be wearing at BUD/S, so get used to them. Besides they are mighty comfortable.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #12
Dave Parmly

Profile:
Re: Firts Step To becoming a SEAL

Do SEAL PUs need to be DH? I assume they do.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #13
James Jensen

Profile:

Bates 912's I think are the ones. Get them at the NEX.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #14
James Jensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Parmly View Post
Yes. Palms facing away.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #15
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Parmly View Post
Yes, the instruction calls for a minimum of 6 dead hang pull-ups.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #16
James Jensen

Profile:
Re: First Step To becoming a SEAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post

EDIT: As for boots, buy the Bates 922s or 924s. That is what you'll be wearing at BUD/S, so get used to them. Besides they are mighty comfortable.
I stand corrected. I have them under my desk and didn't even look at the tag.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 AM   #17
Kevin Domholdt

Profile:

I'm not sure about the push-ups but I have been and will be doing all styles.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #18
Dave Parmly

Profile:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33245

We have a thread going that also discusses ruck training. I would imagine at some point in the BUD/S process that would become important.

The CF mantra of "accuracy" as a component of fitness will help you as you train to be both strong and precise in movements. Learning to work hard and protecting your body as much as possible at the same time will also be important.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #19
John C. Brown

Profile:

Hey, not sure how many that are posting so far are frogs; Casey being the closest I have seen for sure. I spent 3 of the last 4 years of my life at the center and so I have some additional advice that would have helped me.

One: run in soft sand. Use the aforementioned Bates and try to find the ones without the steel toe. Then run in sand. Start short distances and build up. This was something that I wasn't used to and it cost me a role in the form of a torn achilles tendon (IMHO the only way a warrior can be brought down).

Two: Swim, yes, but swim in fins, the stiffer the better and the more similar to duck feet the better. It is a whole different thing when your legs are doing the majority of the work with an extra foot and a half to be propelled by the same hip flexors that are used to working with a normal leg.

Three: and a caveat to a previous post; embrace the hate doesn't begin to cover it. No matter how physically prepared you think you are, you aren't so take it in stride and put out where applicable.

Four: Now throw all of that **** out. If you aren't mentally prepared to get kicked in the D1@k every morning for the rest of your life, then this job isn't for you. This job is harder than anything you have ever done and BUD/S is the easy part. That sounds daunting to some, maybe even impossible, but check your premises. To enter the warrior elite, you must yourself be elite and never willing to be less than the best that you have to offer at any given time. There is a lot of pride behind wearing that pin, and a lot of glory to live up to. The brotherhoods that you will form will be for a life time, as long as that may happen to be. But at the end of the day, it is still a job that requires all that you have on a daily basis, and again as previously mentioned, any thing less than great attention to detail in every aspect of your life will not be tolerated.

There, now that I have stepped off of my soap box, good luck. It sounds like you are on the right path.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #20
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Underwater recovery sidestroke rinse repeat. Your run time is good, I would run in boots and Utes just to get used to it, but not enough to hurt myself. Swims and pullups cause the most problems for people in testing. Ensure they are not a problem for you. Be able to bust out far more than the minimum pullups before and after a swim, after a hard WOD, at whim. Run at the beach in the soft sand on sand hills. Little Creek and Dam Neck both have those. Scruff out at NSWC Little Creek so you can train with Team guys and use the O course etc, but don't depend on that to get you in shape. It's different in a training environment than attached to a unit. Stay out of trouble, that's the quickest way out of contention for a spot in a class.