CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #11
Michael Tong

Profile:
I personally think it is cool and unique to try to improve your 1 RM bench without actually doing the movement. If your aren't trying to reach a goal for competition, why not experiment a little...

Other exercises:
- plyo push-ups
- one-arm push-ups
- heavy bag
- push-ups with off-setting hand positions
Old 06-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #12
Connie Morreale

Profile:
hand stand push-ups will primarily train the deltoids. rows and pull-ups use the back/biceps as the prime movers.
the body position of the push up will better train for bench. have someone slap a 45lb wt plate between your shoulder blades after you assume the push up position. when you can do a dozen of those, add a 25 lb plate on top of that. etc....
also, the exercises that michael listed above.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #13
Mirza Besic

Profile:
My bench has gone up from 195 when I first started training to now, 255. I just weighted in at 149 lbs. (summer cutting)

But the real thing is that Weighted Dips and leaning forward is excelent for your bench. The static movements strenghten your joints and sabilizer muscles.

Believe it or not, when I used to do bench I'd flail around. Thorugh gymnastics; the movement is so fluid it was scary. The weight didn't phase me WHAT so EVER. I felt confidence over the weight even if it was too heavy. And I havent done ANY bench at all, just super heavy either leverage or extra weight exercises.

For example:

me= 150~ lbs
Dip belt = 5 lbs
105 lbs of weight = 105 lbs (next week 107.5 lbs)

total: 270lbs dipped x 5 reps x 5 sets

Other than that, Planche training ala Coach Sommers is excelent along with other INTENSE body weight exercises. Like pseduo pushups with your hands inverted by your waist; stiffen your body and press.

And if your strong enough and can do a Straddle Planch Pushup or several, then by all means you'll never have to do benchpress again. Those exercises I would immagine by FAR surpass its efficiency.

Problem with the bench press is that, it just teaches you the bench press which in reality is a very "simple" movement. Totaly useless for any functional strenght.

OH OH also doing those dumbell maltese fly's is EXCELENT for strenghtening your joints and shoulders.

Later hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
One-armers! With feet close together! The more aligned with the floor your body is, the cooler you are!

The mirrored version of this is the one-armed bodyweight row so if you're seeking a one-armed pulling motion, this be it.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #15
Mike Marin

Profile:
Mirza,
What are the dumbell maltese flys????
Old 06-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #16
David Osorio

Profile:
Some intermittent int/ext rotation might be a good idea in terms of keeping your shoulder strong. Especially if you plan on attacking what looks like a laundry list of new exercises here.

If you're trying to stay bodyweight specific, you could probably use a wall and your body as the resistance, but IMO dumbbells or light clubells or even cables would work better.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #17
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
Lots of good ideas here, I really need to incorporate more variety. Planches and levers seem like something I should work on.

The reason behind the whole benching thing really has no reason, it's just something to do. Also I primarily train at home, and don't get to the gym all that often(thus the preference for bodyweight exercise).

One last thing, please don't think of me as one of those "how much ya bench" guys. I'm pretty well rounded regarding overall fitness.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:13 AM   #18
Mirza Besic

Profile:
Mike Marin, american-gymnast.com has a guide for the maltese, its part of it.

The basic functions of it are to lay on a bench /w dumbells gripped in a serpatine grip. Lower arms from planche level to Maltese level on a 3-3-1 second scale. (3 seconds down 3 second hold 1 second up) The key here is to really lock your elbows out and focus on using your deltoids and chest.

From my experience, you will need to start out with very light weight to condition your joints. However; once your joints get stronger you will be able to increase the weight aggresively.

I'm using 35 lb dumbells now. It's a killer exercise :-)