CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
Tim Smith

Profile:
How can I tell how much recovery I need?

My muscles are sore today. Should I ease-off until they are not sore anymore?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Roger usually tells me the best thing is to get some blood flow going through those tissues. I feel fairly stiff all over and more than likely it's gonna get tighter as it gets later throughout the day. Tomorrow it could feel super tight but I'll actually probably be up to full energy and power. It's kind of decieving because the muscle soreness will make me think I'm completely wiped.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Tim, the short answer is yes you should back off, but the long answer depends on alot of questions. How long have you been doing this? How sore are you? Were you this sore last time you did this Workout? How is your nutrition and sleep? Yes you should back off, but how much depends on how you answer these questions. Blair is right though that you most likely want to do something even if it is scaled down.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Fatigue is expected, pain is normally a warning sign from your body, though.
You are the best judge of that.
Sometimes,when I am very sore, I just want to grab a nice hot shower, but that does not seem to help.
Normally, I find a very cool shower (or cold, if I can stand it)seems to help get more blood flowing to the muscles, since the body is trying to warm itself.
Hope that helps.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
James R. Climer

Profile:
"How can I tell how much recovery I need?"

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/27005.html

A very good previous thread that gets this into subject. Read down at least until you get to Eva Twardokens' post about the vertical jump test.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:26 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:
If you're strength training then 2 days of rest is fine. M,W,F schedule works pretty well.

For CF I would scale down so you can build up to do the full workouts faster without having to worry about much soreness. Soreness is mainly a hindrance to workout out as it tells you relatively nothing about your workout except mainly that it was higher in volume than you were used to or that you did lots of eccentrics. It doesn't tell you anything really about your gains in terms of improvement or anything, and if it hinders your workout it's generally a bad thing.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Tim,

Don't forget to use recovery methods...

One thing I've started doing is the contrast shower thing and stretching after workouts.

I think doing this helps two-fold, first it seems to help loosen you up, speeding up recovery.

Second it helps you determine if you need to ease up completely or at least which parts of your body need more rest before the next beat-down.

If you still feel pretty sore after doing these things the next day, you probably beat yourself up pretty hardcore...Of course you still have to make the determination, but I think it helps you gather more information on where your body is.

If you have someone willing (or the money) I'd recommend some good massage too.

Aush
Old 11-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #9
Alex Vasquez

Profile:
I've been thinking about recovery methods a lot recently. I have had a knee that has been inflamed for a LOONG time now.

personally this is what has eliminated my inflammation

Pre workout AND post-workout
1. foam roll and areas that are tight and any hot spots (ITB is a great start, peroneals and rotator cuff/upper back) This takes about 5 minutes
2. dynamic stretches for areas foam rolled. ie walking heel to butt, mike boyle's calf drills, arm swings/crosses. Really start slow they are not ballistic stretches. be deliberate in your movement. so on the heel to butt walks forcus on doing a contrilled leg curl through the ROM and actively contract the hammies. work from slow to faster (i dont ever d them explosively)

3. Static stretch aformentioned areas.

this whole thing takes about 10-15 minutes but if youve ever had a nagging injury for an extended period of time you will know that it's worth it.

Static stretching alone wasnot enough (actually aggrivated everything). Then I added in foam rolling and it helped alot. the addition of dynamic stretching took it to a whole new level

I even do the routine on my off days with a few more dynamic stretches

I would love to try a therastim or other recovery methods. oh and ice is awesome too

combine proper nutrition and enough attention to recovery and you could train alot more than people reccomend.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Agreed Alex,

Until you are utilizing all your recovery methods...ie good sleep (dark, long enough) good nutrition, and some of the techniques mentioned. It's in a way wrong to say you are truly under-recovered...although maybe in that state you can be over-trained...perhaps the two phrases really are different things.

Aush