CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-31-2006, 07:34 PM   #11
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
mike, your are faster than 99.999% of the over 40 population in the 100 free. add a real kick to that, work on your overall technique, and you'll go under 1 minute in less than a year if you want it. i swam the 100 yard free in the mid 50 second's as a teenager, like kevin, and trained for a winter with a masters group 5 years ago at age 39. my best time with my extra 20+ years and 40+ pounds that winter was 1:03 in the 100 yard free. good going, mike! keep it up!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:34 PM   #12
Marc Lee

Profile:
Hi Michael. Some Crossfit members are already using shinfin fins, including Fiona (posted above), Eugene and others. If you are interested in improving your kicking technique and strength, and indeed your entire stroke (arms too) then I would encourage you to use them. We get great feedback from customers all around the world, for exactly these reasons. And I know you will probably post your results on this bulleting board – I have confidence that shinfin fins will help you. You can contact me though this bulletin board, or through www.shinfin.com if you have any questions.

I have designed shinfin fins specifically to encourage and train a natural freestyle, backstroke or fly kick. They achieve this best with full stroke swimming (although they can be used with a kickboard too). They do this because they are connected to your legs and not to your feet – that is what gives you the correct streamlined stroke biomechanics. And of course, your feet and ankles are still free to flex and kick in your normal way.

Foot flippers (even short training flippers) can't achieve a natural streamlined kick, basically because they are connected to your feet and that messes up your entire stroke biomechanics. They stop your feet and ankles moving properly too, of course. This is all very clear if you look underwater at swimmers wearing foot flippers. Their knees bend too much and their hip and knee joint movements have different angles and timing. Many swimmers and coaches know this. Swimmers warming up with foot flippers often have to do a few 100m of no-fins swimming before they get back into their natural stroke pattern. That also tells us that foot flipper kicking is different than natural streamlined kicking. So what is the point of training with a foot flipper kick that you shouldn’t be doing when you swim without fins? You might even think (as more and more coaches and swimmers do) that foot flippers can do you more harm than good…..

You can probably tell that I am passionate about shinfin design!

Cheers,
Marc
www.shinfin.com
Old 09-01-2006, 07:46 AM   #13
Michael A. Taylor

Profile:
Once again many thanks for the advice & encouragement. You all have given me a new fitness goal to add to my current list (sub 1:30 500m row, bodyweight C&J) ... sub 1:00 in the 100yd free.
I'll look into the shinfins too.

One more question for you swimmers: When you time yourself for the 100yd free do you do a racing dive or just shoot off the wall as your start? Just curious. I just push off, don't dive. Will the dive improve times much? I guess that's sort of a dumb question.
Be blessed today.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #14
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
yes, a good start off a block and good turns at each wall will significantly lower your times even further. in a 100 this could easily make a 3-5 second difference.

so, with no real experience or coaching, without a start off a block, and likely with poor turns, you're swimming a 1:10 at age 43. amazing! work with your masters buddy on starts and turns, work off and on with your zoomers or shinfins to learn how to kick, read total immersion and apply what you learn in general, and you will swim the 100 free in under 1:00 in a very short time.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #15
Mark Reinke

Profile:
Lock out your knees, point your toes, and drive more with your hips. A starting with a 6 count kick for the first 3rd, a 4 count for the 2nd third, and a 2 count for the remainder of the race should suffice for maintaining your pace and energy. It's all in your hips. If you're all arms, you're much less efficient.