CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-05-2006, 04:49 AM   #11
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Tim, better start on the moustache now.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #12
Matthew Heidt

Profile:  
Old 04-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #13
Guy Crossland

Profile:
I think Stew is a class act. He always answers emails and his site( like crossfit) has a lot of free stuff. Alot of his work is geared towards military stuff and I am sure that it works. He has actually sent me free versions of his ebooks and he is always positive.I have followed some of his workouts and they do take up time so are best done in holidays but then again all workouts will take up some time ( except for someone who can do Fran in 2.59!!)
Old 04-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #14
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
My best friend while I was in the Navy went through class #211. Laziest guy I ever met...but when he started something he didn't quit. Our plan was to go to BUD/S together, but I ended up getting married. I would have quit in the cold October water anyways :-)
Old 04-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #15
Matthew Heidt

Profile:  
Guy,
I like Stew a lot. He was a great guy in the Teams, and I have no doubt that he has helped many people accomplish their military goals such as they are. I just don't like the marketing approach. He isn't the only one, and he won't be the last one. Frankly, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it, but hey, I guess I did so I'd better defend it.

The Teams aren't for everybody. Going to BUD/S to see if you can make it through is not a good reason to go. People who are considering going to BUD/S should want to actually be a SEAL and perform the job of Navy SEAL. Making it through training isn't the end all be all; its the very beginning.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #16
Guy Crossland

Profile:
Interesting. A few SAS soldiers have done something similar in the UK but with mixed results as what they have done is so far removed from most peoples lives that is hard to relate to what they do. Also paradoxically in terms of exercise science and training principles a lot of special forces training seems to be counter productive to the type of fitness most people are seeking.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #17
Adrian "Hank" Garfield
Member Adrian

Profile:
matthew,

thanks for answering, and reminding me to always read with a critical eye.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #18
Mark Reinke

Profile:
One quick note about Stew Smith's workout, is that it contains no overhead movements. Conducting a three month program with no overhead movements or scapation exercises WILL lead to muscle imbalances causing one to overcompensate with the wrong muscle groups during certain movement patterns. Ultimately this leads to injury. However, with a couple of your own overhead movements (shoulder presses), the workout is solid. Stew Smith's book was my second bible about seven years ago, but it didn't prevent the shoulder injury that was sustained during ruck runs. Good luck!

Mark
Old 04-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #19
John Velandra

Profile:
Mark R... good point!

Think of holding a log or IBS over your head for pt... you have to do overhead movements!
Old 04-13-2006, 08:09 PM   #20
Matt Thomas

Profile:
You know that's weird. I never realized he had no overhead stuff in his workouts untill you mentioned it and I wonder why that is. I have the 12 Weeks to BUD/s workout book and it has a lot of neck exercises in it which i assume is to prepare for the boat they have to carry on their head. But on that SEAL special they are also shown doing a lot of presses with logs. So it's kind of strange there would be nothing to prepare for that. Interesting.

Either way i've tried the workout and if you have the time they work really good. I was in the best shape ever last summer.