CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
Per Nyberg

Profile:
Does any of you have this book and if so have you done the 12 weeks workout? What do you think of it?
Old 04-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
From what I have seen on posted on this board the seals have adopted crossfit, so that book probably needs to be updated with what you are currently doing.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
Matthew Heidt

Profile:  
Per,
Kevin is correct. The SEAL community seems to be embracing Crossfit. This should come as no surprise because SEALs are naturally sick individuals that enjoy difficult physical challenges. I'm a SEAL Reservist and I was on active duty for a couple weeks last month and the Team gym I worked out in was a fully equipped Crossfit facility. Oly weights, kettlebells, still rings, ropes, plyo platforms the whole 9 yards.

I just started Crossfitting as a result of what I saw and heard about it there. If you are planning to go to BUD/S, I would say that crossfitting would be great preparation. Obviously, you're going to need to do some swimming, and running as well, but I wouldn't be too enthralled with a Navy SEAL workout book anyway. A few years back, the Navy came out with a Navy SEAL Nutrition manual which was not only heavily plagiarized, but also put out a lot of erroneous info.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
Adrian "Hank" Garfield
Member Adrian

Profile:
"A few years back, the Navy came out with a Navy SEAL Nutrition manual which was not only heavily plagiarized, but also put out a lot of erroneous info."

i have this book, and was curious before i start reading it, what was wrong in it and what i needed to take with a grain of salt?

thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
Michael Nobori

Profile:
Full disclosure: I am not in the Teams nor have I been through BUD/s. That said, I think Stew Smith, author of "The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Fitness," knows his stuff. That book is unique in its focus on helping individuals train specifically for BUD/s. Moreover, Stew is a great guy who is very interested in helping people succeed in SEAL and other training. Many people have used his "12 Weeks to BUD/s" program with much success (e.g. completing BUD/s). He has some great ideas for swim/CSS training. I think there are others on these boards who use his workouts (like Matt G). I would also recommend checking out www.stewsmith.com which is also linked on the main page at CrossFit. He has some other Spec Ops workouts as well as a program to replicate the "harassment" you will experience at BUD/s.

Bottom line: I recommend Stew's workouts as preparation for Spec Ops training. For GPP, I find CrossFit is more time efficient although you will still get results from Stew's programs.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Matthew Heidt

Profile:  
Hank,

To be honest, I don't remember exactly what it was about that book that was deemed unreliable. I do know that much of the "research" in it was not performed on Navy SEALs, but was actually borrowed from other studies without attribution. At the time that it came out, I was an active duty SEAL Corpsman (medic) and within six months of it's publication the doctors at the NSW Groups were starting to question much of the content. By the time a year had gone by, the SEAL community had completely rejected the book and it was being used as a doorstop.

You will see that it is hardly the Zone that they are putting out. It is essentially another version of the high carb/low fat diet that the USDA has been promoting for years; except that it has the apparent imprimatur of the Navy SEALs. Well, I'm telling you that it doesn't and hasn't for sometime.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
Matthew Heidt

Profile:  
Michael,
I went through BUD/S with Stew Smith, and I think he is a great guy who has probably helped many people get through whatever PFT they were going for. I defer to him with respect to physical fitness subjects and personal training. That said, I have never been one to condone marketing yourself or your business by using your SEAL credentials. I find it somewhat unseemly, and as a result I personally steer clear of people that do it. Being a SEAL is a very unique and difficult path which is why it looks so good on a resume, but turning it into a commercial gain and marketing ploy cheapens it in my opinion.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
David S Keisler

Profile:
I got Stew Smiths book when it first came out & found it to be a great addition to my fitness program. There is a lot of body wt stuff in there that is helpful. He does a lot of pyramids particularly with pullups. I would definitely recommend the book I did the 12 week program & was in great shape afterwards BUT @ age 50 was a little too old for SEAL life...get the book you will enjoy it. As an ex Army Doc I have nothing but respect for all Special Ops personnel...but do agree with some of the comments above by Matthew H
Old 04-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Matthew, what class number were you?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #10
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I aspire to join the SuperElite Navy Walrus unit.

:rofl: