CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #6551
Richard Jenkinson
Member Richard Jenkinson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Leicester  Leicestershire
Posts: 58
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Spookily the email from T-Nation this morning had an article extolling the benefits of walking..
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #6552
David Meverden
Member David Meverden is offline
 
David Meverden's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston  SC
Posts: 2,802
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Right, you won't get any argument from me there. I also don't think it's worth paying tons of money to go walk on the treadmills at a gym when it is free to do outside. Gym = place where hard work is done.
That gets me to. You are paying money to have a place you can WALK? There are lots of places to walk for free. And if you go to the gym to walk doesn't that mean you are getting in your car and DRIVING to a place just so that you can WALK? Maybe if it's like 0 F outside or something, but otherwise . . .
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #6553
Ben Norris
Member Ben Norris is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sunshine Coast  QLD Australia
Posts: 727
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Right, you won't get any argument from me there. I also don't think it's worth paying tons of money to go walk on the treadmills at a gym when it is free to do outside. Gym = place where hard work is done.

My main issue is with someone dismissing the benefits of walking or hiking or something along those lines without knowing better.

Hiking is very good for you. I am talking about going to a globo, walking a treadmill talking to a friend for a short period then going home. If more people went out bush hiking for a few days then our obesity rates would be MUCH lower than they are today.
__________________
My Log 19, 5'9, 160lbs, Deadlift 345, Back Squat 285, Front Squat 220, Bench Press 185, Strict Press 115x3, Squat Clean 175x2, Squat Snatch 135
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #6554
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Hiking is very good for you. I am talking about going to a globo, walking a treadmill talking to a friend for a short period then going home.
Relative to what? The benefits of walking -- even on a treadmill at the globo -- relative to sitting on the couch are pretty well documented.

Now personally, I'd rather jam toothpicks under my fingernails than walk on a hamster wheel, but regular outdoor walks are essential for my mental health.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #6555
Jay Mulder
Member Jay Mulder is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto  ON Canada
Posts: 111
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

First time at my new college gym (goodbye sweet affiliate) and a guy was curling in the only Olympic platform / power rack combo with bumpers....

After I got on the Oly platform I realized the bar was so old the knurling was completely gone in the snatch grip. At least people are snatching.

Finally I dropped a heavy snatch and it sounded like a gunshot, bringing all 50 people to stare at me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #6556
Nalin Prabhu
Member Nalin Prabhu is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Troy  OH
Posts: 562
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mulder View Post

After I got on the Oly platform I realized the bar was so old the knurling was completely gone in the snatch grip. At least people are snatching.

.
I'm betting that's where the bar rests in the rack- not because people have used it so much to snatch!
__________________
5'9"/ 175lb/ 31yrs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #6557
Jay Mulder
Member Jay Mulder is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto  ON Canada
Posts: 111
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
I'm betting that's where the bar rests in the rack- not because people have used it so much to snatch!
Ah! You're totally right! I think I'll switch it out with one of the bench press ones next time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #6558
Alex Carey
Member Alex Carey is offline
 
Alex Carey's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa  ON Canada
Posts: 125
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mulder View Post
First time at my new college gym (goodbye sweet affiliate) and a guy was curling in the only Olympic platform / power rack combo with bumpers....

After I got on the Oly platform I realized the bar was so old the knurling was completely gone in the snatch grip. At least people are snatching.

Finally I dropped a heavy snatch and it sounded like a gunshot, bringing all 50 people to stare at me.
Jay, where are you going to school? GTA?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #6559
Jay Mulder
Member Jay Mulder is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto  ON Canada
Posts: 111
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Carey View Post
Jay, where are you going to school? GTA?
Nowhere near the GTA. Closest affiliate is about a half hour away, and I have no transport. Globoing sucks, but it is doable. It's always worse when you get used to going to a well stocked affiliate everyday.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #6560
Michael Buzny
Member Michael Buzny is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto  ON
Posts: 102
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mulder View Post
Nowhere near the GTA. Closest affiliate is about a half hour away, and I have no transport. Globoing sucks, but it is doable. It's always worse when you get used to going to a well stocked affiliate everyday.
Ohh, thats sucks.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who is X-fitting at a Globo gym?? Alex Reynolds Fitness 73 01-27-2014 01:20 PM
Why I love Globo-gyms Corey Cedeno Community 18 03-18-2008 12:10 PM
Quit my globo gym? Tim Luby Equipment 7 02-26-2008 03:49 PM
Globo Gym training Shane Bradbury Running a CrossFit Facility 20 12-14-2007 08:03 AM
Globo-gym issues Leslie Ap Stuff and Nonsense 21 12-06-2007 05:55 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.