CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #21
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Re: "Low Intensity Good Enough" Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Gruezo View Post
These programs are going to ultimately fail to deliver results. These people will eventually get lost and need someone to lead them. I know I want to be one of those people to lead.

Randy Gruezo
www.crossfitsouthflorida.com
I can't agree more. As leaders we should not shun these people because they aren't "crossfit-level intensity". I would guess that NONE of us were crossfit intensity when we started. That is exactly what hooked us, and that is what we should display to others who haven't gotten it yet. What we must keep in mind is that these people have not yet learned to push themselves, nor how to move themselves. Simple workouts that utilize proper movement patterns and short duration (5-10 minutes) will allow them to move and feel better in their daily lives. I have found that giving these individuals workouts they can finish, encouragement, and being a leader by example will ultimately lead to their success. Most people aren't lazy, especially the ones walking 20 miles a week. What they lack isn't motivation but knowledge. The sources of knowledge can either be time or us. Our job is to do an excellent job explaining that our workouts are effective, efficient, fun, and rewarding. Explain to them that we are not concerned with fat loss, but with improved movement patterns and skills. Learning new skills (especially with the large number of skills in crossfit, and the forever-increasing difficulty of them) will keep them interested, even when they bypass their "goal" weight. It will be of benefit both to them and to us. Embrace the lack of knowledge in pop-culture as it means we have an unbelieveable amount of room for growth.

Cheers.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #22
Randy Gruezo

Profile:

Corey...Amen!!!:

Quote:
Explain to them that we are not concerned with fat loss, but with improved movement patterns and skills.
I know you probably know already what I'm about to say, but for those who don't... It is not necessarily good to say to a potential client that you are not concerned with fat loss especially since most people want to lose fat/weight.

Tell them something like...

"Through our training philosophy and methodology not only are you going to achieve more strength, stamina, power...etc to make daily life easier, you are also going to get the body you always wanted.

How you may ask? The type of movements we perform require a lot of work (energy) to perform. The more energy required the more calories you burn. With proper nutrition habits and our training you get the body you want faster."

I know it sounds cheesy but can't think to deep right now (flu medicine is making my brain go to la la land), but I hope you get my point. A client once told me that you catch more flies with honey.

Randy Gruezo,
www.crossfitsouthflorida.com
Old 08-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #23
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Might want to add to your talk with potential clients that a CrossFitter's idea of fun is only SLIGHTLY skewed, involving buckets of sweat, prolonged agony, sometimes blood; and more often than not, tears.

But it's all in good fun, right?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #24
Randy Gruezo

Profile:

..... tell them that after the intro workout though LOL
Old 08-26-2007, 02:00 AM   #25
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:

If you look at the introduction to intensity video you hear Glassman say that the intensity is always relative. Relative to what? Relative to your physiological and psychological thresholds.

So if a ten minute walk is high intensity for you (seriously unfit/unhealthy) you're training at high intensity. Of course, for the athletic mid twenties males a sub 20 minute 5k is high intensity.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:18 AM   #26
Corey Duvall

Profile:

Well, I tell my clients to guage their progress by how they feel. Often, within just one or two workouts they report feeling better. One especially large man told me, "I'm not sure what it is, and I know I don't look different (it was after just three workouts) but I feel strange in here (rubs his belly), a good strange". When they talk about losing "weight" I tell them to focus on their workouts and learning the new skills. As their skills improve the extra fat on their body has no legitimate use and will start to disappear. I don't even bother talking about nutrition right away. I think you find the quickest changes in how they feel, which is often the case, and they ask about nutrition on their own. Often they came to me for exercise on their own and it will be more beneficial if they do. Nutrition should take the same course. I suggest small changes they can make, tell them about the nutritional value of food and suggest things to add to their diet. "Here are some foods that have a high concentration of good fats, eat some of these during the day, how about some healthy protein or fruit/vegetable". I don't tell them what to cut out, its easier for them to start by just adding some food. If you set a good example and don't intimidate them "WE ARE HIGH INTENSITY, WE BLEEEEEEED, WE SWEAT, WE EAT LIKE CAVEMEN" they'll be more apt to start. I'm not saying YOU should be high intensity, YOU shouldn't bleed, YOU shouldn't sweat or eat like a caveman... but DO it and don't tell them they need to. The magic is in the movements... as they start to get it, and if you workout with them on occasion they'll see how hard you push and start doing the same... they join a group class and see others pushing themselves and it becomes addicting. But they won't be addicted by you standing over them screaming at them to move faster.

Note: This is for the sedentary/obese clients. If you have some athletes, or some folks in better shape (I call all my clients athletes, a la coach) you can let them know about the intensity, and how it will benefit their workouts further. Hell, you might only get some of these clients based on the intensity level.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #27
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
That's the first time I read the original Tabata research. I notice that the 20s-10s cycle is the only one they tested. I wonder if anyone's done additional to research to ascertain whether that's actually the ideal ratio; there's no reason that, say, 25s-10s couldn't have an even better metabolic effect.
Brandon--

Tabata tested another protocol:

4-5 repetitions of 30 sec at 200% VO2 max/2 min rest.

So the work was longer and even more intense, w/ longer recovery.

The protocol of 6-8 intervals of 20 on/10 off worked better.

I've never read the actual studies, only summaries.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #28
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Thanks Tom -- I went to PubMed and pulled up Tabata's work and I have a big stack of open pages now to flip through. Lots of interesting stuff, very much in the interest of CrossFitters.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:46 AM   #29
Brent Lucas

Profile:

The "body" is the side effect

At least they put the "This is the first step and you can go farther for increased benefits" spin on it.

I do find however that the white coats, regardless of their true intentions, seem to keep lowering the bar for the average citizen, when what really needs to happen is a wake up call to a much higher bar.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #30
Michael Cooley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Reading a study like this is like watching a tailor trying to measure a suit with an odometer.
This is my new favorite quote.

mpc