CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-10-2005, 10:31 PM   #11
Nick Cummings

Profile:

If jogging is intense the what the hell is a workout like Linda or Murph? I can't believe they pay to get information like this.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:00 AM   #12
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Hone- VO2max is basically the highest range of your aerobic energy system. So anything that gets more intense than, say, a stiff jog becomes greater than VO2max--anaerobic, in other words. So when these guys were exercising at 170% VO2max, it just means that they were working at a high intensity.

No news to anyone doing a Tabata anything.:happy:
Old 12-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #13
Hone Watson

Profile:
Thanks Kenneth.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #14
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Re: "Low Intensity Good Enough" Article

I believe jogging is far worse than a brisk walk as it puts one at greater risk of injury. The walk is far less impact on your joints as the "fall" of each step is not as far a distance as it is from a jog. Sprints on the other hand are a much shorter duration and therefore have fewer impacts and will result (with proper form and a basic ability) in a greater strength improvement. Jogging allows people to go much longer distances with greater and greater joint impact but, as this study shows, gives no greater benefit.

In this study I wish they had shown the result of short sprinting instead of jogging. "If you sprint to the end of your street and back x times a week, which actually takes only 15 minutes total, you will have far greater fitness than a walk around the neighborhood every evening... even if its 20 miles a week."
Old 08-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #15
Brandon Oto

Profile:

That's the first time I read the original Tabata research. I notice that the 20s-10s cycle is the only one they tested. I wonder if anyone's done additional to research to ascertain whether that's actually the ideal ratio; there's no reason that, say, 25s-10s couldn't have an even better metabolic effect.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #16
Alex Nisetich

Profile:

Here's why that study is dumb:

"according to a study of sedentary overweight men and women..."

Of course overwieght, unfit people who don't exercise at all are going to see health benefits from doing even the bare minimum of activity. And of course they will not see benefits from working to exhaustion; their work capacity is so low that they wouldn't be doing much more than walking anyway!

If you take people that don't exercise, they won't be able to exercise at "high intensity," because just moving for more than a minute is high intensity for them. This reveals nothing about exercise for healthy people, nor does it reveal much for overweight sedentary people looking to be significantly more fit than they are now. Garbage.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #17
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Catering to the masses, is all. MOST of America is sedentary and overweight. MOST of those people would die at far below crossfit intensity. True, to us, this is a joke. But for 60%+ of America, this is encouraging. I think the logic behind all of these low-intensity exercise articles lies in improving the health of the general populace. If they associated "health-improving exercise" with crossfit-style workouts, who of the sedentary crowd would do it? If it's dumbed down to an intensity they feel they can handle, they are more likely to participate. Live and let live.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #18
Randy Gruezo

Profile:

I agree with Skylar. Most people, at least fitness wise, are not use to feeling a level of discomfort we are accustomed to and expect from our program.

A lot of these overweight/obese people are in the valley looking at a very tall mountain to climb just to get to "normal" levels. You show them Crossfit, even if it is a scaled version, and they automatically think that it's to difficult.

For example at work in a "Wellness Center" I had someone do 5 rounds of 5 air squats, 5 pushups, 5 situps. This person is clearly overweight, however does the typical bodybuilding routine and thinks he is somewhat fit.

I offered to show him something else different and talked about the workout above. He said "That's It?" and I said, "Yup...However your goal is to finish this workout as fast as you can." So I assume he thought it was a piece of cake.

By the third round this guy wanted to quit. Keep in mind it was less than a minute. However he was not used to that feeling of sucking for oxygen. Long story short, he said he wasn't ready for what I had to bring to him. He needed to "get more fit." He still doing the same old thing.

I believe it was Prof Leyland who said it best in one of the past '07 Crossfit Journal, that people can't just jump into our workouts, high intensity. They have to gradually adapt to that level of intensity. However, they have to get to a point when they can exercise intensely to achieve optimal fitness.

This goes for all of us, instead of griping, what are we going to do about it. I see this as a golden opportunity for us (trainers, coaches, instructors). These programs are going to ultimately fail to deliver results. These people will eventually get lost and need someone to lead them. I know I want to be one of those people to lead. These white coats are delivering us clients in droves and they don't even know it. However, we must identify those people and offer them a glass of kool-aid, even if it is a small shot glass. Some like kool-aid, some don't but the ones who don't ultimately will come back.

Randy Gruezo
www.crossfitsouthflorida.com

Last edited by Randy Gruezo : 08-25-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #19
Randy Gruezo

Profile:

Brandon,

It's been a while since I finished my ex sci degree so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I believe Tabata just used 20 seconds because most people can't go all out for a longer time period. For example, during my exer phys lab in college I took part in the Wingate Bike Ergometer test.

The point of the test was to see your anaerobic capacity, at least that is what our lab was testing. Pretty much I couldn't pedal after 18 secs of maximum effort, I nearly passed out, out of stupidity (I immediately got off the bike and didn't cool down, therefore all the blood was in the lower extremities and oops no blood for the brain).

So 20secs may have been an average gathered from data testing all out effort. Try for yourself running at maximal effort or doing whatever. I'm pretty sure you won't get far past 20 secs.

That's my two cents,
Randy Gruezo
www.crossfitsouthflorida.com

Last edited by Randy Gruezo : 08-25-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #20
Milton Grasle

Profile:

Well Jeremy, you ruffled a few fearthers. But in saying that, I do agree with most of the other mmeber's comments. Some of these studies are really frustrating, (as a member previously stated) they all tend to start with out-of-shape couch potatoes. I think why you have gotten such a strong reaction on the board is because most of us know from personal experience that high intensity stuff works the best. During the early eighties, when Triathlons were gaining attention, I became intrigued by them. I immediatley started training, plodding along over long slow distances. My overall fitness went to h.. qluickly. Frustrated, I went to the H/S track and tried to run 400 meters as fast as I could. I was almost shocked out of my mimd when at 200 meters I was toast, out of breath, and staggering on legs of rubber. I then began short high intensity training, and my times--even in longer events--went off the charts. The sprint work added twenty puonds of muscle to my body, and I went from looking like a refugee from a concentration camp, to look like some of sprinters on T.V. events. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, we can read all the studies we want, but when you have first hand personal experinece and real data that you know is correct, then spearating the wheat from the chaff becomes a lot easier. By the way, I enjoyed your post. IMHO, it is these kinds of posts that make us stop and think about what we're doing and why. Best Milt.