CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-20-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
Gary John

Profile:

I didn't want to hijack the stretching thread, so I did get some questions on "halos".

This is a terrific exercise for the shoulders. I'm trying to throw the javelin with a bad shoulder and Dan taught me this one (over the phone).

You can start by lacing your fingers together at eye leve, palms out. Then try and rotate your hands, arms, shoulders, in a halo around your head. Keep the body and head still. I use these to start, going ten each way. Your body will figure out what to do.

When you are ready (or right off for you youngsters) grab a 10#-25# weight plate and hold from the sides with both hands. Again, starting at eye level,try and do the halo. There will be a lot of cheating, grinding and swearing, but it really helps.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Profile:
So is this above your head? Or in front of your face if you start out at eye level? Or the 3rd option I was thinking is that it's from eye level back around your head and then back to eye level?

I just tried above my head with no weight, interesting feeling I will have to incorporate this into my crossfit warmup.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:32 AM   #3
Travis Hall

Profile:

yeah i had the same question- the old hijack didn't work :proud:
directly above or in front of eyes?
-t.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
Gary John

Profile:

I do them about 6 inches away, directly in front of the eyes, elbows straight out and then try and make a circle around the head at the same height.

Which, of course, you can't easily do, but that's the beauty. I'm trying to do these with the laced fingers in front of a mirror, and type out what it looks like. Whole lot of pulling the elbows up to miss the head, but the shoulders are happy. With a weight, just keep trying to make it happen around the head. Dan told me the body figures it out, before I ever could.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Could you post a picture? I am having a hrd time visualizing this movement.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Profile:
I think the "at the same height" thing is confusing me
Old 10-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #7
Gary John

Profile:

Dan is laughing at me. I told him about my post and the questions I'm getting. He is making his olympic lifting DVD today, so he is going to throw in some things like "halos" and hindu squats in an add-in.

Last try. Think of an angel's halo, now pull it down until it is around your head at eye level. Now with your fingers laced together, about 6 inches or so in front of your eyes, palms out, trace that halo around your head. That's it. If I could do pictures on a computer, I'd be watching still of my throws.

However, when you start using a weight plate, I think the results are worth the effort.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Ok that last post cleared it up. Should I aim to have my knuckle line perpendicular to the floor at all times? BEhind the head my knuckles tend to be at an angle of about 45 degrees from vertical.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
Gary John

Profile:

That is what it is all about. It's going to be ugly. Then, when you go the other way, it'll probably get worse. Try holding the 10# plate and doing it, there is no "right" way. The tighter the shoulders, the longer it is going to take. Remember, it took me two years to get the OHS.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #10
Dan John

Profile:

I tell you...making a damn DVD is about as exhausting a thing as you can do. Three hours of "light" snatches, cleans, squats and variations...

I'm not sure we can explain everything with words, Gary.

By the way,

Haloes or Halos?