CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-26-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
Mark Baldwin

Profile:
First, I have been training Steve Justa style for a few weeks and I am pleased with the results. For example, I pick up a huge rock(deadlift) and place it on a table and then put it back down on the ground(dropping it halfway down), doing this for at least 20 continous reps. Its a brutal killer than hits the whole body. Next, I found a perfectly shaped rock for clean and press. Also, I have been carrying rocks up my apt. stairs skipping every other step. It seems the real outdoor work has been very anabolic for me. My entrie body has grown.

I want to train explosively for 2-3 weeks and was wondering about my routine. First, I want to start out with a few sets of cleans with the rock but no press. Next, I plan on doing plyo pushups on my apt stairs obviously not doing all the way down but explosively pushing so I am standing straight up again. Finally, I plan on doing 30 sec burst of pushups as fast as i can but still under control. Oops, and last I want to do jump downs from a small bench, training my lower body "explosively". Any thoughts?

Mark
Old 09-26-2005, 08:50 AM   #2
Aaron Jones

Profile:

Throw the rock. Hold it at your chest, squat down (as far as you like) and do a chest pass into the air. Pick up the rock and repeat.

You could also mix in the "explosive" training so you do a little of everything after your couple week cycle.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:30 AM   #3

Profile:

OLYMPIC LIFTS! That should be the first thought through your mind when you consider explosiveness. Snatch in particular, which I've never seen done with a rock of any considerable weight. Cleans are good too, but I think using a bar instead of the rock will allow you to move way faster with way more weight. But that will definitely transfer back over to rocks if those are your prefered implements.

Why not do jump-ups? The jump downs will be training eccentric motion (absorbing the fall), which will probably help make you sore, but I'd definitely add the up part since that's the explosive component. If you're looking for the quick turn-around, jump down and immediately back up. Just make sure you're really warm so you don't tear anything off your bones.

Start on a bench, work up to a table, and keep going higher and higher. If you're o-lifting, your vertical jump will increase pretty dramatically.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #4

Profile:

Forgot to mention: http://www.mikesgym.org, Coach Burgener's site. Good info on O-lifting and such.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
O-lifts are nice, for sure, but there's a big difference between barbells and rocks. I agree with Mark that training outdoors is a powerful stimulant. Uneven ground, air blowing around, strange smells, open environment, unwieldy weights, this is where people were MEANT to exercise. By focusing on a barbell you are effectively specializing, and if you're o-lifting indoors then this is even more so.

I would suggest throwing things. The o-lifts certainly can help your throws, but they are not the only road to great explosiveness.

Consider Parkour, where you find an area of obstacles and congestion, and practice running and jumping around, over, and through the course, basically for time, while insisting on grace and form in your movements.

I think you are on the right track for your goal, your plan sounds fun and challenging.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #6

Profile:

Totally true re bars being different than rocks--which is why I'd suggest using both.

I particularly enjoy the strange smells.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #7
William Hunter

Profile:
Maybe hit a big tire with a sledgehammer a few dozen times. Near a farm or a zoo if you like strong smells.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Don't forget to sprint. Hill sprints, flat-ground sprints... 40-150 meters. PuuUUUURE fun. Ease into it if you don't already do it.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:39 PM   #9
Kalen Meine

Profile:
I would definitely chip in a vote for rock throwing. Requires stabilizing weird shapes, high explosiveness, stabilize (if you mix up one and two handed throws), etc. I've heard of boxers and kickboxers that swear by throwing a pile of rocks from one place to another.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:10 PM   #10
Alex McClung

Profile:
'nother vote for rock throwing.

I like throwing backwards over the head, kinda like the snatching without the catch ! Set up a 100 yard course - toss, sprint, toss, sprint, ad nauseum (literally)