CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-25-2003, 03:09 PM   #1
Gerry Nowotny

Profile:  
I have been lurking behind the scenes for about a year and a half watching the sight and following the WOD for the most part. I am age, 43, and a former powerlifter (20 yrs ago) who competed at 198 lbs. I am still about the same size 5'9''and 198 lbs. Had good lifts as a young man - 610 lbs in the deadlift, 600 lbs in the squat, and no bench press. I always had very good sprinting speed (4.5 in the 40), but mediocre aerobic capabilities. Before Crossfit, I had an introduction to the Concept 2 about 10 yrs ago and have used it from time-to-time. Best 500 meter is 1.28; 1000 meters 3.20;2000 meters at 7.15 and 5000 meters at 20.30 ( I can't seem to break 20 minutes. Goals-1) Better Cardio Fitness 2) Trying to regain strength of youth

I can still pull 405 in the deadlift x 10 (no belt)and squat 300X15 (no, belt, wraps, or spotter) I have been trying to improve my body wwight strength. I have improved pull ups to about 15 (dead hang) from 5 and dips from 20 to 40. I can do about 80 pushups. Still no bench press.

I would like to try to get my percentage body fat under 10%. I think I am probably around 12 or so by looking in the mirror.

I have very impressed with the level of comaraderie and sharing on the sight and am grateful for all of the excellent input.

My biggest problem is time and lack of a training partner. By now all of my cronies have given up the gym for golf.

In 20 years the Surgeon General will decree that golf is the greatest health risk to men over the age of 40.

Happy to be out of the shadow and on the map. I would greatly appreciate any good goals for an old guy to shoot for.

I have really enjoyed Dan John's comments and website. I can barely do the overhead squats holding the bar. Is it too late for an old "Geyser" to learn the O lifts and teach my 14 yr old daughter?

Besr regards!

Gerry Nowotny

Old 02-25-2003, 03:22 PM   #2
Janet Fisher

Profile:

I think you'll find your 14-year-old daughter an excellent workout partner!! It's not like she'd have to spot you too heavily anyway. (I envy her the resource at her disposal.) If you do start working out with her, I'd love to know how she does. I've been thinking of taking Crossfit to some girls at a local highschool.

Time? Most workouts are done in 30 minutes, I think.

Never... never too late.

Old 02-25-2003, 04:33 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Jeez, Gerry, I'd be happy to reach some of the levels you're already at.

Welcome, and, of course it's not too late!

Gotta warn you, though . . . when Janet says that the workout are under 30 minutes, that's the longest (and shortest) 30 minutes I ever saw. (But you already know that if you've been doing the WOD).

I've also got an 11-year old daughter that I'd like to get into lifting . . . that'll be a challenge, though. I'll certainly be interested in hearing how it goes with your 14-year old.

David Wood
Old 02-27-2003, 09:34 AM   #4
Gerry Nowotny

Profile:  
Looking to incorporate all of the women in my house to Crossfit. I have three daughters - 16,14 and 7. Wife and girls are all on the art-sy side. Only the 14 yr.old has the ideal build to be a lifeter - big hips, big thighs, and of course the necessary big behind. Crossfit will be a great test for her.

I have a busy job but look for the oppty to work with teenage boys who might like to lift instead of running the streets. The O lifts intrigue me because of the phenomenal strength,flexibility and quickness of O lifters. thinking about taking the Level One Coaching Course to teach the 14yrs old. My 7 yr. has good gymnastic ability bu doesn't appear to have the legs of a future squatter. Wife is interested as long as she doesn't have to sweat too much!