CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
So "Over-Training" does exist...it just exists for those who don't take the proper steps to recover...under-recovery though is someone who is pushing themselves beyond a safe limit...in the surface navy we have something similar to under-recovery, it's a state of mind that the ship enters when they sacrifice safety of equipment for mission accomplishment...that is under-recovery in a sense. You are sacrificing your body to accomplish some mission, disregarding the after-effects.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:12 AM   #12
Melvin Newman

Profile:
deep tissue massages helps, learn your body, do extra workouts that will send blood flow to the lagging bodypart or that bodypart that takes longer to recoupe. Buy a cheap massage roller and self massage.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:20 AM   #13
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Been doing this for 3 years and I'm still sore...get used to it.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #14
Frank M Needham

Profile:
"How can I tell how much recovery I need?"

Sitting here after working myself to near stand still, and then catching a cold has made me think about this more seriously. How much recovery seems to be so individual. The warning signs were all there, mental fatigue, general soreness, not sleeping well and for less than 7 hours a stretch, poor attitude, lack of focus, etc. Odd thing is that I wanted to keep on working out! I'm taking a week off am incorporating other things like whey protein, zinc & magnesium, next will be L-glutamine. In addition it will be my goal to take workouts at a lesser pace till the base I want is more fully developed.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:52 PM   #15
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Over-training is real. Your body will give you subtle hints at first, and then increasingly obvious ones. If you ignore them and refuse to rest, your body will eventually enforce that rest, most likely in a pretty unpleasant fashion, i.e. sickness, injury, etc.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #16
Josh E Lundgaard

Profile:
The best way that I have found to guage my bodies recovery state is to keep a waking heart rate journal (take heart rate immediately on waking). Your waking (VERY resting) heart rate will begin to rise if you are pushing to hard, or are getting sick. This allows you to be proactive and head things off before they get out of hand. Of course, you need at least a few weeks of data to serve as a baseline...
Old 11-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #17
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I can measure by how a few pullups feel.....if it feels like my CNS is asleep and I am struggling...I am overtrained...if I can fire them out, I am good. Not scientific but a way I can figure out my own body.