CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-23-2004, 09:12 PM   #11
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Kreiki Matt! Keep your nutrition bullet proof and sleep....a bunch!
Robb
Old 03-24-2004, 09:16 AM   #12
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

Matt,

Well after thinking about your situation, I think you have to ask yourself "Why am I doing the WOD?", if your answer is because you enjoy it, great, but I honestly think if your serious about powerlifting, incorporating the WOD may be detrimental. Sure if you got OPTIMAL sleep and OPTIMAL nutrition you may be able to experience some great gains, but including the WOD into your schedule may not be OPTIMAL. I think you should evaulate your priorities, decided which means more to you, big lifts, or solid base of overall fitness. Both are great, it just comes down to a matter of personal preference. When you decide which one is of more value to yourself, commit to that. If it's general fitness, commit to the WOD, but you can still incorporate some powerlifting type workouts (I do this pretty regularly in the form of power circuit type training). Crossfit allows you to do this because of it's generalist approach. On the other hand, I don't think that would be the way to go with Powerlifting. It's just to specific. I totally understand that a solid base of conditioning and general strrength/fitness is important, but the ratio of specificty to generalization is dependent on which sport your trying to thrive in. If you decide powerlifting is what you place as your number one priority, then get all you can on Westside training protocols or any other sucessful POWELIFTING program. In westside's case, thier training protocol places GPP very high, and the use GPP movements specific to their sport, while the WOD would incorporate unnessecary volume in areas not specific to powerlifting (the WOD are heavy on Pulling movements for example). This high volume of work would certainly have an ill effect on powerlifting totals, just as coach mentions in the journal you quoted "Crossfit alone will bring a guy with a 800 pound squat down to a 500pound squat but give him much better conditioning." So training for one goal comes at a cost to all other goals. Crossfit tends to fall more on strength endurance side of training, and powerlifting falls more on the maximal strength side of training. Like I stated above, if you want optimal results, follow a porgram tailored to your goals. The body becomes it's function through stimulus placed upon it, no matter how you value those stimulus, they will affect your performance. So in short, I would incorporate the WOD rarely if ever if my goal was to suceed in powerlifting.

J.D.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:28 PM   #13
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I was thinking about either picking the 1st day of the WOD for Powerlifting if it suits, the 2nd day for extra gymnastics work, and the 3rd day for an extra run; or spreading out the lifts each different day along with the run and or extra gymnastics movements.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:54 AM   #14
Parth Shah

Profile:
wow, interesting stuff. Can this be applied to every sport. I really don't think I have a problem because I do martial arts classes twice a week, but I do plan to get more serious with my martial arts, maybe even go onto boxing. Could combining specific work with crossfit be used for something like boxing?
Old 03-25-2004, 12:16 PM   #15
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Parth-

It can but it is frequently the non sport specific stimulus we are looking for. Have you read this:
http://home.hia.no/~stephens/timecors.htm

Give this a read and use the search option to read about some of the discussions on this topic. good stuff there.
Robb
Old 03-29-2004, 04:47 PM   #16
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
I think the bottom line is deciding what you want. If you want massive strength, Crossfit may not be for you. My understanding of Xfit is that it's raison d'etre is FUNCTIONAL fitness, fitness that will get you thru every day with ease. I just completed my second Bataan Memorial Death March(26.2 mile hump with 35 pound pack). In '02 I cramped horribly. No cramps this time. Only changes were no storming thru the first 5 miles and Xfit since last June. I think the high volume intensity helped prevent the cramps. Next year will be a test of that theory. The firefighter Combat challenge is approaching again. I am hoping to get a few seconds knocked off my time. I think Xfit is a great tool for doing that. Finally my point is this: the above events represent the most extreme ends of the spectrum. one is aerobic endurance/strength the other is anaerobic explosive strength. To be able to compete in both is Functional Fitness.