CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
Laura Head

Profile:
I began the zone diet about a week and a half ago. I am 5'4" and 125 lbs. I lost 5 lbs the first week and did not do a body fat measurement prior to starting. I wanted to change my diet to see if my strength would improve. I run 5-7 miles 3-4 times a week and do CF 2-3 times a week. I feel fine during the day and have no problems w/ hunger. Problem-my running is absolutely awful, I feel like I'm going to pass out when I climb a hill. It is very discouraging and I'm wondering if I need to change something or if it will pass. Any suggestions would be helpful. I am on 11 blocks a day. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I tried Protein Power for a few weeks back in 2000 and the same thing happened. I had a high-heart rate whenever I ran...it basically felt like I'd maybe run a 10 miler before starting the day's run.
Then I had a huge plate of pasta and ran like there was grease in my garter that night.
I'll never do something that makes me feel that crappy(no pun intended...as I wasn't very 'crappy':haha:)
Now I must go to Crossfit Confessional.:devil:
Old 08-29-2006, 04:03 AM   #3
Laura Head

Profile:
You're killin me w/ the humor. Got on the scale again this a.m. and lost another 5. Now feeling like this may not be for me. On the other hand, I can do 4-5 unassisted pullups whereas before I was having problems. Hmmmm.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:21 AM   #4
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Laura, a couple of questions that might help us understand:

Are you weighing and measuring everything, to make sure that you are indeed following the Zone prescription?

What are your sources of carbs, fat, and protein? What is in a typical day's eating for you right now?

Many people will agree that the first two-four weeks of the Zone are the most painful. Your body is being deprived of carbs and is being trained to burn more fat instead (which is healthier in the short and long term). If you keeping going, you will find that you break through the feelings of deprivation and energy levels go way up. However, reverting back to plates of pasta during this time can prolong the training period and the symptoms.

My advice is to keep doing the Zone for a couple more weeks at least, be sure that you are following the diet regimen in terms of weights and measures, and see if you too don't "break through" the need for higher carbs.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:29 AM   #5
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Laura,
You may need to up your fat blocks, that is a really fast weight loss. Maybe too fast.

Consider adding fat blocks until your weight loss slows. You could probably double your fat intake IMO
Old 08-29-2006, 05:54 AM   #6
Laura Head

Profile:
I weigh and measure everything and am following the diet w/ about 95% accuracy, just using the CF #21. There are issues when I eat out, maybe once or twice a week for lunch, but have been closely watching the carbs. My goal is to become stronger for CF workouts, but I feel like ---- when running. I'm not hungry, just don't feel good while running,especially hills. Will this benefit my running also? or will I just become stronger? I guess I should buy the book. Morning is usually the oatmeal or shake w/ the protein powder and fruit and nuts. Lunch is lunch meats and or salads w/ whatever carb is handy from the list (usually unfavorable list). Dinner is meat and veges from the favorable list. Most of the fat is coming from nuts, peanut butter, or cream cheese. When I'm at a restaurant, i give up on trying to figure out the fat (that's where the 95% accuracy comes from). 11 blocks, 3 3 1 3 1. This is what I'm following and I can't afford more weight loss. Help. Laura
Old 08-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
Kevin Platt

Profile:
I went on the zone as well and experienced fairly similar weight loss without the negative effect on my running. When exactly are you running? Is it before breakfast? Is running hills a new problem which you never experienced before while running regularly? Crossfit should benefit your running, it has mine. With the distances involved in your running you may want to consider a mid run protein/carb snack (either fluid or bar). You should also try and eat before the run if you run before breakfast.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:47 AM   #8
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Losing so much weight so quickly is a sign of water loss. You can't lose any weight that fast except for water weight. Water weight loss is a sign of glycogen depletion as well. Some people report needing to drink more water on the Zone diet:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/7998.html - see Beth Moscov's post from Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 03:34 pm

I would dump the unfavorable carbs, replace them with juicy fruits like grapes, apples, and oranges, drink more water, and if that does not change how you feel then try adding more fat.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Got on the scale again this a.m. and lost another 5.

what is your body fat percentage? You can lose 5 pounds of muscle pretty quickly if you low carb and run 20 or more miles a week as you describe. don't measure it on a scale though because it will give you a higher bodyfat percentage if you are dehydrated.

If I were you, i'd cut out the running and just do the WODs until you get your body composition where you want it.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
Laura Head

Profile:
Sometimes run before breakfast, sometimes after, usually in the a.m. Never had issues w/ hills. I live in a very hilly area. It would be difficult to swing that snack thing. I feel like I should be able to run 45min to an hour w/o having to eat. What do you think?